CHAPTER 1

********

**********

"Mom! I'm going into the attic to find some old articles!" Lily shouted as she climbed the dark staircase leading to the basement.

"Okay!" Her mom shouted from their kitchen.

Lily, a tall girl who is dark in complexion, 17 years of age was in search of something epic to base her English essay on. She needed to Ace every class and since English really was her favourite subject, it had to be perfect. Lily tugged open the basement door that squeaked annoyingly and cringed, "Dad really needs to fix this." She grumbled before walking into the room.

It was gloomy and she cursed herself for not bringing a small lamp along with her. Boxes were scattered across the floor. For the first time, she was happy that her mother was an orderly person, she had labeled every box. Lily's eyes scan over the toy boxes and ornament boxes over to the box labelled 'NewsPaper'. She smiled brightly and quickly bent down to lift it when she pulled a muscle in her leg.

"Ah! Shi-ah," she grunted. "Old age!" She cried before kicking the leg out harshly and after a small crack, the pain vanished.

After she rose to her feet she bent slower and lifted the box. "Dang! This is heavy!" She grunted again as she wobbled out of the basement, she placed the box of the ground and sighed in relief from the lack of weight before pushing the door closed.

She rolled her eyes at the door, how could it squeak loudly when opening but go smoothly closing? Ah she didn't know, and was too lazy to care. She lifted the box once more and wobbled down the staircase.

"Got it, mom! I'll be in my room." She said walking in the direction of her room.

When she was about to close it she heard her mom's voice. "Okay, Honey! Don't get too caught up and forget dinner!" Lily smiles.

"Okay, mom" and then closed her door and threw the box on the area of the floor that wasn't covered with her plush teal coloured carpet.

She placed her glasses onto her face, grabbed a scissors, book, pen and of course, her phone before heading to the box.She sat on the floor in front of the box, placed everything on the floor beside her except the scissors and used it to cut through the tape and open up the box. As soon as it was open she shoved it away when she saw a few paper mites and book lice scattering out of the box.

"Ugh!" She shivered in disgust and hit the side of the box making sure that they were all out before bringing it back closely to her.

She pulled out the first newspaper and saw that it was dated back to 2016, 5 years ago. She checked the dates first and as she went down more the dates were after each other.

'Looks like mom organised the dates too,' she thought with a smile.

From years 2013-2016, even though that year had a lot of articles, they were all about our achievements here in Linden Town and even though they'd make great, quick and easy essays, Lily didn't like them. She was already an hour in and being the impatient girl that she was, she grew annoyed and then her phone rang. Without looking at the caller ID she answered,

"Hello?"

The other end of the line was quiet, deafeningly silent, but then she heard it.

"2011..."

Lily dropped her phone in terror and pushed herself into a corner of her room. She looked at her phone in fright as her body pricked with goosebumps.

'Who the heck was that?!'

She thought before snatching back up her phone to check her call history, but there was no record of the call. The voice she had heard was one of a young woman, but there was something about her voice. She sounded scared and..cold. It scared the shit out of Lily, and then she recalled what the person said. 2011. She rushed to the box and rummaged through the papers until she spotted 2011. They were several papers from that one year and all of them said one thing.

"Missing Woman, Audra Jones."

From every headline Lily read, she could tell that this girl, Audra, was never found and it caught her interest immediately. She rushed down to her mom with the news paper and handed it to her.

"Mom, did you know about this?" She asked her mother who was still making dinner. When she lifted her eyes to view the article i was showing her, they grew as wide as saucers and just like that, Lily's mom fell back onto the floor unconscious.

·················

WORD COUNT: 794

(VOTE, COMMENT & SHARE)
POSITIVE VIBES ONLY.