When the Song Finished

My mother's death was no surprise for me. She had always fallen sick easily. She was a fragile lady, which is why I was an only child. When she gave birth to me, she barely survived and since I had turned out to be a boy my parents saw no need for another child. They only needed one male heir. 

"We are here to commemorate the life of Mrs. Schroeder. She was a wonderful wife and a caring mother."

Her funeral went by like a flash, every speech was just gibberish to me, and soon enough I found myself just looking at where they buried her. Though it was not a surprise, it took its toll. My mother, one of my biggest fans and my best friend, was now dead. Never to be seen again in the world of the living.

I quietly played my piano for it was the only thing I could bring myself to do. The music room felt empty without my mother there to listen and dance a little to the songs I'd play. I kept on playing till I heard the door open. I spun my head quickly towards the door hoping to see my mother walk in, just hoping that her death was just a nightmare and she was still here. But those are just the hopes of a child, instead, I found my father making his way towards. He looked worried, frustrated, and annoyed.

 "Why hello father. What brings you to the music room?"

"I'm here to speak with you, Thomas." 

"Well, father, what is it?" 

"I believe it is time for you to start courting and marry someone, Thomas." 

Marry! My father must have lost it. Could he not see I'm still grieving? 

"Father, I believe I'm not ready to court yet." 

"Nonsense! You are 24 Thomas. 24 I say! It is time for you to find someone." 

I can still wait a bit. I do not want to marry yet. 

"Father I do not want to marry-" 

"But I want you to, you are the heir of my estates and I want to make sure you have an heir as well before I leave and join your mother." 

He also wants me to have a son as well. I could settle for marriage right now, though I don't want to, but having a child as well. My father is certainly losing it.

"Father, I have not found anyone who I have taken an interest in." 

"That's because you are always locked up here. Which is why you are going with the Brown's eldest son, Charles, on a little trip to the Wells to find the both of you a wife or at least be close to entering a courtship. And the both of you will be there till the end of winter." 

What?! My mother just died and he wants me to go to the countryside to party!

"Father, I do not want to go!"

He raised his hand telling me to stop. 

"I have made my decision and everything has been arranged already. You will be leaving tomorrow, end of discussion." 

Before I could say anything else, he swiftly left the music room. I do not know why out of nowhere my father started believing I had to marry. He had never asked me these questions or even brought up the subject before, but that didn't matter right now. I had to pack up there is no debating with my father. I guess the only good part about this situation is that I get to hang out with Charlie Brown for an entire winter.

Author's Note:

 I changed a few things, but they were minor changes that did not change the story in any way. I hope you are enjoying the story. And I will try to make this story as historically correct as I can, but I do not know everything about society in the early 1800s. If I get something wrong, tell me and I'll try to fix it as long as it does not affect the story much. Like in this chapter after I wrote, I found out that people used to enter a period of grieving determined by how close they were to the person that died where they could not go to any social gatherings. Schroeder's father would have to enter a grieving period of one year plus one day and Schroeder should go into mourning for at least 6 months to a maximum of one year. Of course, if I included this now, it would change the story entirely so let's ignore that for now.

~Solecito