Im cooking again (someone please buy me groceries)

Well, I'm back again in the kitchen to make another dragon age inspired meal again!

Okay so I'm home alone today for the first time in months so of course we're going to get up to some shenanigans! So Dyrdottir here's another one in case you're curious.

Today I was feeling inspired to make the fish recipe I remembered seeing in the arl's Denerim estate in dragon age origins. I thought it would be fun and interesting and not difficult.

So instead of just googling The codex entry I loaded an old save in origins. (Freyna I miss you every day. Rest in pepperoni.) however I realized something. It wasn't quite what I thought it was.

It was for a pudding of some kind which, rip to Fereldan people but that sounds gross. So I'm adapting this recipe for a sort of oven baked fish. Also I didn't have mackerel like the recipe called for and I used sole.

So here's the recipe in game (no instructions, which is normal for historic recipes.)

2 stalks of celery
1 green pepper
Half a pound of poached mackerel
1 small onion, finely diced.
2 tsp mustard
1 tsp salt
Half the of ground antivan pepper
Eighth tsp ground mace
Dash of cardamom seed
2 eggs, beaten
2 eggs, boiled and sliced for garnish.

Well.

I had to substitute for like half these Ingredients, so please take this with a grain of salt.

Every since quarantine we haven't bought groceries as frequently as normal and we run out of stuff easily so... We didn't have celery. Or mace. Or nutmeg which is just from the same plant.

Basically here's how I did it. I took a few filets of sole and let them defrost. Yes I know frozen isn't accurate either but I do not live near any major bodies of water and I also live on protected land so no one fishes in the lakes for markets.

ANYWAY then I did have celery or green peppers also I don't eat green pepper. So I used some carrot.

And then we didn't have mace so I thought I'd use nutmeg since it's the same plant so we didn't have that and we also didn't have cardamom and I googled substitutes and I used allspice, cinnamon and ginger. This was the best I could do and both spices were in small amounts so I didn't think it would wreck the whole recipe.

So I mixed all the seasonings together into one seasoning rub, and then I chopped my veggies and coated them with oil and some of the spice mix.

Then I added the rest of the spice mix to the fish and coated it all over on both sides.

And then I had the genius idea of putting the fish in a wire rack on top of the veggies while they cooked and it worked like a charm.

So I cooked the fish according to manufacture's specifications (450 Fahrenheit for fifteen minutes).

I took the fish out after fifteen minutes but let my veggies cook a little longer so they got soft and some colour.

Smell impressions: I smell only the mustard.

Also I boiled two eggs during this time. I only did the hard boiled eggs since the Beaten ones are for a pudding which I am not making.

Also one of them cracked. Insert joke about Solas here.

They still worked. I ran them under cold water, peeled them and then cut them up and added on top of the fish.
Anyway I let everything cool down just enough.

So before I do any playing I'm gonna give it a taste.

What I have here is a plate that looks like more egg than fish.

I swear there's fish under there

So I'm actually going to plate some right now.

I have to laugh it looks funny. I guess that the point because it's Ferelden food and it's not supposed to be haute cuisine but what I am thinking is if I flaked up this fish and mixed everything into some greens it would make a nice salad. Let me give the plain thing a taste and we'll decide:

*give me a moment to remember you need cutlery*

Okay this is actually really good!! It's a bit too salty so I'd dial back the salt but it's good! The veggies are nice too, and it's simple but it's great! I wanna make this a salad I think that'd be nice.

I'll go do that on my own time but have a great day everyone!