CLUES

Annabeth stormed out of the Empire State Building, devastated. It was the Summer Solstice, and she had gone to the counsel of the gods, trying to see if they could find Percy. None of them did. Poseidon admitted he already tried with no luck. Annabeth was walking towards Jackson's apartment when she noticed a figure in full black clothes in front of her, going through the crowd. She'd recognize him anywhere.

"Hey!" She cried, making her way through the crowd. The figure didn't hear, so Annabeth ran, wrapping her arms around him in a hug.

The figure stiffened, turning.

"Annabeth?"
"Oh my gods, Nico!" Annabeth sighed in relief. "Where have you been?"
"I've been wandering around. Why aren't you at camp?"

Annabeth glanced at the people around them.

"Not here. Come with me."

Annabeth and Nico entered an empty Jackson's apartment. Sally and Paul must have been out.

"Are we allowed in here?" Nico asked.
"Yeah. Percy gave me a key just in case."
Annabeth and Nico sat down on the couch after turning on the lights.

"What's wrong?" Nico asked.

"A lot." Annabeth explained everything that had happened in the past six weeks, all the way to when Percy was taken.

"I was looking for you earlier," Annabeth admitted. "Can you like, feel for him? Feel his life force?"
"It doesn't work as a GPS."
"But is he alive? Okay?"
"I...I can try. But if he's too far I won't be able to..."
"Then we'll find out if he's close if you do reach out to him."
Nico shrugged.

"No promises, but I'll try."
Nico closed his eyes. Annabeth waited for about thirty seconds before Nico gasped, eyes opening.
"Did you find him?" Annabeth asked urgently.

"I thought I did, but I lost focus. I can try again. Hold on."
Nico closed his eyes again. Annabeth waited a minute this time, scared to move and interrupt the son of Hades from locating Percy.

Nico opened his eyes, his face paler.

"I got through."
"You did? He's close?"
"I guess you could say I could sense him, he's alive, but..."
"But what?"
"I could feel his life force ebbing away as if he's slowly dying but not quite dead yet. Whatever these men are doing to him, it's torture."
"Oh, Percy..." Annabeth groaned, putting her face in her hands, trying to stay strong for her sake and for Nico's.

"He wasn't too far, Annabeth. I didn't have to stretch my senses very far. I think he might be at least four hours away. Somewhere in Pennsylvania, I think."
"So what? Tear apart the entire state till we find something?"
Nico shook his head.

"Just find the places with woods. You said that's where he was in the Iris message right? And if she can, maybe Iris can help locate where his end was. She must have sensed Percy when he messaged you."

Annabeth nodded, the pieces slowly coming together.

Suddenly, a thought came to her.

"Can you summon a dog bone or something? Something that's good at tracking scent?"
Nico shook his head.

"I've tried, no luck. What about wood nymphs? They had to of seen something."
"Grover's already been wandering around asking for help. Most of them were asleep when he was taken."
"True. There's another option I can try. No promises."
Annabeth would do anything.
"Name it."

"I can summon bones around where he is. Like bread crumbs."

"When did you figure out you could do that?"

"Last week. I haven't been glooming in the shadows mourning for Will. I've been trying to train, grow stronger so I can stop another person I love from dying. If I can help Percy for you I will."

"Thank you, Nico." Annabeth hugged him.

Nico pulled away gently.

They stood.

"Alright. Let's do it at camp so we don't scare any mortals or Sally when she comes in to find us hanging out here."

Annabeth nodded.

This just might work.