𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

CALINA HAD SCREAMED BLOODY MURDER WHEN ROBIN ARRIVED COVERED IN MUD.

But she had laughed her ass off as she saw Thranduil in an even worse state.

"If your father gets word of this, he's gonna kill you." She said, after she had collected herself. She was a Lady, after all.

Thranduil shrugged at her words, not really worried about his fathers reaction. His Adar had probably seen worse, although that didn't mean he would be happy about it.

"And you know the best part?" Calina continued, smirking madly. "I'll be there, first row to see it."

The next morning, as Calina arrived at the King's study, she couldn't keep her laughter as she heard his father's words.

"You made a mess of my kingdom." Oropher stated, clearly annoyed. "And even worse, a Prince covered in mud? This is outrageous."

And then she laughed even more, not caring about the killing look Thranduil had sent her way.

➵ ➵ ➵

Calina was a bright person.

At least, most of the time. So when she had her moments of darkness and pain, she was like a totally different elleth. Today was one of those hard days when the responsibility of the kingdom seemed to be on her shoulders.

She was a part of the King's court, even if she wasn't officially a part of the King's Council. Not 'officially', but the King seemed to trust her enough to even ask for her council. 'An elleths intuition never fails', seemed to be his argument most of the time, but she knew it was more than that.

Ever since the Fall of Doriath, Oropher had taken her in as his own. She had no one left, as her whole family had been slayed with most of her kin. She was just a child then, scared and unprotected.

But sometimes, when life takes everything from us, it also gives us a chance to start again. And that's when she found that night as the fire took over the city and the King found her in the woods: A new life and a family.

Did that make her a Princess? Not officially. But she had certainly lived up to the title, as annoying as it was for Thranduil.

Still, she was a part of the royal family from the very first moment. Oropher was like a second father, and Thranduil was like her brother. Calina and the Prince grew up together, becoming the best of friends.

As Thranduil grew up, he trained and became part of the King's guard. Meanwhile, Calina earned her title as Lady of the Court.

That meant that she had to have proficiency in the etiquette, languages, dances, horse riding, music making, and painting prevalent at court.

But, soon after she earned her title, what used to be typical things that Lady's were supposed to do, became more complicated tasks.

The King had enough things to attend to, as he was busy enough running and protecting the kingdom. Meanwhile, Thranduil had his own duties to take care of, not only tending to the ones thrust upon him as a Prince, but also the ones that came with being part of the Guard. And with the Queen's absence, Calina and Thranduil had to take care of some of the duties that used to correspond to his mother.

Meaning, in other words, that she basically ran the palace. She was there to make sure that everything ran smoothly, so that the King could focus on the most important things. That way, he didn't have to worry about more trivial things, like what there would be for supper, accommodating guests and ensuring everything was prepared for them, supervising the staff, making sure the gardens were taken care of, etc.