let's begin.

From the top, make it drop, it's a plot, it's a plot...

Okay, I agree, that was bad but hey! You laughed!

Now, let's get to the point, shall we?

Like the lyrics up there, let's take it from the top. What is it that you need to start writing? What's the first element?

It's a plot!

There are always three elements while starting, however.
-Plot (a short summary)
-Story (what happens throughout the book)
-Theme (the message that is conveyed through your book)

If you master these 3 elements, consider that you've won half the battle.

Now, it's quite hard to pick up a plot but tell you what, no plot is bad. Every plot is good and every plot will get you readers, be it a cheesy romance, angst, mystery, thriller, dark romance, chick lit. Anything, absolutely anything you write will get you readers, and I'm saying readers and not voters, please note.

There's a reading circle for every genre ever created but it's your execution and the personal touch you add to it, that matters.

You know the bad boy meets good girl plots? We call them cliche but how did it become a cliche plot. It's quite simple, you see. Someone wrote it first, people loved it, it became famous and others started writing with the same plot because they know, that's what people want to read. But it's gets too much after reading the same thing again and again. It's the same circle of bad boy turning good just because of the girl.

Does that mean you should avoid this particular plot? If you really want to write it, then absolutely not. You write what you feel like writing but here comes the most important point. Do not copy the exact same thing.

While dealing with cliche plots, the biggest mistake you can do is, follow the same pattern as everyone else. Here, I'd like to give you an example of my own book.

*Spoiler alert* maybe...

Now, how common are bodyguard romances? Pretty common, right?
What I did, however, was think it over.
I had this idea and it was about a woman falling in love with her bodyguard. My plot.

So, the next point that came was how do I make it less common. This is where I decided to make my female lead a married woman.
But then I thought, if my husband gave me bodyguard to keep me safe, wouldn't I just fall deeper for my husband rather than anyone else. What if the marriage is forced though?
This is where I decided, that Soomin is fooled by Soongho. He made her believe that he was a businessman instead of a mafia lord then killed her police father and brother and later forced her to marry him. Then, when she started planning an escape, he appointed Namjoon as her bodyguard but he ended up helping Soomin. My story.

(there's no theme cuz I was young and dumb back then and didn't know much.)

And viola! I have my bodyguard romance, I have my thriller and I have my villain. It's common but it's not too common and this, is how you make the cliche plot not so cliche.

Get yourself involved in the process, put yourself in your characters shoes and keep asking questions till you get the perfect or atleast self satisfactory results.

(P.S: please, do not copy this plot word by word. It's my first book and I love it despite the embarrassing writing.)

Let me give you another example through my another completed work, After Hours.

Plot- Idol meets a restaurant owner.

Story- My female lead doesn't know that the male lead is an idol but they still fall in love, uncaring of each other's identity. But all secrets have a way of showing up at the bestest time (which are totally bad for the characters).

Theme- Trust and communication.

You got an idea? I built my story around seemingly sweet people but because of miscommunication and not trusting each other completely, problems arise. So, I made a romantic story but at the same time, gave the message that trust and communication are some of the most important elements in any relationship.

Like I said previously, I'm not a planned person, but you need to, absolutely need to plan these 3 elements (which I learnt after deleting one book). You can go with the flow throughout the whole story but keep a clear head with what you want the other people to get from your book. If the message goes through, then that's it! You've become successful!

Alright, I think this is enough to cover the plot section.
If you have any questions please ask them here (☞ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)☞

To end this, I'll tell you one of my LeJindary dad jokes.

What do you call a bear with no ear?

B.

*Que maniac laughter*