Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Oɴᴇ » Tʜᴇ Bᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢ

"So, you see, Ebony, that's how it started."

"Really?"

"Really, Really."

Lively sky-painted eyes peeked up at my father's loving gaze, belonging to me. He was telling me about how our Utopian Society came to be. Dad nonchalantly lurched his upper half-forward, his hands outstretching towards me. "I think you'll find your soulmate someday too, sweetheart." With those words of assurance, his lips press against my forehead, planting a kiss.

A sigh of contentment hums through my mouth as I calmly close my lids. "Well my dear Nightingale, I must head off to work." Dad states, gazing at me with eyes brimmed with love.

"Okay Daddy, have fun." I grant.

An adoring chuckle rummages through his closed lips as he rises to his feet. "I will, Ebony." He shoots me a wink of assurance as he pushes his arms through a grey trench coat.

"And Ebony, don't forget these words." He added on, causing my lightning blue orbs to flit up to his loving hazel sockets.

His body stoops towards my face, the tips of his slender fingers curling around the bottom of my face. "I hope your soulmate will be your perfect match, and will never stop loving you. I hope that whoever you fall in love with will be your soulmate and not a waste of time. That is what I hope for you, my dear Nightingale. In fact, I'll help you find the right one."

An enlightened grin plays on my mouth, "you will?"

"Of course, Ebony."

With more words of assurance, his lips yet again greeted the skin of my head, leaving another kiss. The warmth of his hands left my cheeks, as he departed away, taking his hat off the rack, and fitting it around his head.

His hand twists around the knob of the front door, followed by a creek, as a peek of the outside world slices through the door, letting me have a preview of the outside, which happens to be a grey, cloggy sky, full of weeping clouds.

A single foot sweeps out the door a bit, shifting the body belonging to my dad; shifting him closer to the wet and depressing, outside world.

Half his body is out in the cold of the outside, half of his body is angled towards me. He shoots me a smile, brimmed with reassurance. "I love you." 

Then his other half joins the outside, his hand following behind him, pulling the outside knob of the front door with it.

That was the last I saw of him.

My fingers gripped around the brim of the locker, bringing it to a slamming close. Students near me jumped, flinching their eyes at the sudden noise.

"Damn locker," I mutter.

It has now been ten years since my dad's death. Well, apparently he died. I was only eight at the time, but today, I'm seventeen.

Both Mom and I had stayed up late that night, even though she insisted I went to bed, but I was even more stubborn and insisted I stayed up, for I was worried for Dad.

Soon after, there was a knock on the door. Mom had opened it to reveal a policeman through the peaks of the creaked open door. He was standing there, raindrops cascading off the brim of his hat and the edges of his raincoat.

"Are you Mrs. Night?" He asked.

"Yes," my mom replied waverly.

"It seems that your husband, Mr. Night, was killed earlier this evening. Lab accident," his finger curled around the edge of his soaking cap, tipping it towards her. "Sorry for your loss, ma'am." The corner of his eyes caught me. "And your child's."