Gratification

October 28th 2020
For the past eight days, I'd been taking care of Alyse when my mom wasn't. Mom was having a ramp installed for Alyse to get down the steps in her wheelchair. I hadn't seen Leo for those eight days either. I was so busy taking care of Alyse that I hadn't gone to school nor had the time to call anyone or make plans. Alyse was my top priority at this moment.
"I'm sick of being in a vegetative state." (If that's an offensive term I'm so sorry I've just heard my teacher use it lmao) Alyse wined as I brushed her hair.
"That's nothing you can help right now. It'll be better before you know it." I felt extremely guilty for not staying home the night of the accident. That way Alyse might have stayed home as well.
"Can you ask Leo to come over?" She turned looking at me.
"I mean I suppose. Are you sure you're okay with that?" She refused to let anyone but mom and I see her because elf her conditions. For the first day she was home, she stayed in bed all day. The second day she finally got the motivation to ask us to help her into her wheel chair. Now, she was starting to act like herself again. I was glad to see it.
"I know you hate being stuck here with me alone all the time. And Leo is cool. He's not going to judge me." She turned back around facing the mirror in-front of us.
"You know that's not true. I've loved spending time with you. But, if you insist. Maybe it would be good for you to have some company." I continue brushing her hair.
"You sound like my mom." She gagged and I laughed.
I set the hair brush down, pulling out my phone.
"Hey." He said with enthusiasm.
"Hey, sorry I haven't called for a while. I've been taking care of Alyse." I felt bad that I'd ghosted him.
"No, no. I understand completely, love. Did you need something?"
"Yeah, actually. I was wondering if you could come over. Alyse suggested it and I miss you as well." I smiled as I talked to him.
"Of course. I'll be there in a few."
We said our goodbyes and once he arrived, Alyse stayed in her room while I went to answer the door. I opened it to see a bright, smiling Leo. He pulled me in for a big hug.
"Alyse isn't feeling too highly of herself right now. So, when you see her, please do your best to act as casual as possible. Don't let your facial expression be anything but casual and happy, okay? You're the first person she's left inside the house in general since last week." I said as I pulled back from him with my arms still around his neck.
He nodded, "got it."
I took his hand leading him to Alyse's room. Once the door opened, Leo did exactly as I said. Zero expression other than a smile.

We stayed in Alyse's room because she hated having to get down the steps. It was difficult for both of us. Mom was getting that ramp installed soon anyways.
Leo and I were curled up on my mattress and Alyse laying on her bed. I missed Leo more than I'd thought. It felt nice to have his arms around me again. After so long, it felt like some sort of a break from reality.

"When you get better, Alyse, we should all walk to the basketball court I met y/n at and hang out there for the day. I think it would be cool to show you where we met." Leo smiled at Alyse.
Almost instantly she looked sad. Leo was trying to be generous and give her something to look forward to but, as far as we knew, she may never even walk again.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean that in a rude way." Leo apologized about a million times.
"It's okay, I promise. I'm just worried I won't be able to walk again in general. I don't want assistance all of my life." Alyse sighed.
"Hey, you won't. You've got this, okay? And even if you do need assistance, that means you have more of an excuse to hang out with someone as cool as me." I smiled at her, trying to cheer her up.
She nodded and a smile appeared on her face.
"Are you hungry?" I was still looking at Alyse.
"A little."
"I'm on it." I smiled and got up holding my hand out for Leo to help him up. He took my hand and we went downstairs.
"Did you want something too?" I looked back at Leo who was still holding onto my hand.
"No, no I'm good. Thank you though."
We went to the kitchen and I left go of Leos hand grabbing a head of lettuce from the counter and a cutting board.
"Alyse has to eat light foods right now. It's good for her health and that's most important right now." I grabbed a butcher knife and began cutting the lettuce as Leo sat at the table staring at me.
I looked at him, "take a picture, it'll last longer." I laughed. He smiled.
"Just admiring my beautiful girl." He smiled with his head resting in both hands.
"So that's what I am now?" I smiled at him, "I'm not just a fling? I'm actually yours now?"
"That is if you want to be."
"Of course I do." I smiled wide and continued cutting the lettuce.
I washed it off after I was done cutting it and gone out the low fat ranch. Just like Alyse had always requested. Nothing but ranch. After I finished making her food, I turned to Leo, holding the bowl with both hands.
"You ready, dork." I smiled at him. My face hurt from how much he made me smile but it was gratifying to know I could feel some sort of happiness.
"As ready as I'll ever be." He smiles and stands up following me back up to Alyse who's still laying patiently on her bed.
I helped her sit up and she ate her salad with her undamaged arm.

A/n: I'm gonna end this chapter here because I haven't updated in a few days and I like to keep it consistent and I have to come up with what's gonna happen next. Hope you guys like it!🖤🖤🖤