Chapter 5 - Despair and Kindness

After eating some of your rations, you spent the rest of the day dozing against the side of the temple. You woke up slightly disoriented, and when reality hit you, you felt something mournful tug at your chest, but you shoved that feeling into the depths of your mind and decided to begin surveying your surroundings.

The temple itself would be useless to you, especially since you weren't about to waltz right into a god's territory, but some of the haphazard stones could be useful for making tools if you could break them into smaller chunks. You also wondered about using the pieces of broken glass by the windows to channel the sunlight into something that would start a fire, but that would come later.

Mostly, the area around the temple was just a small clearing that extended a few feet beyond the temple before turning into thick undergrowth. It was almost like someone had tended to the area, but you hadn't seen anyone other than the Butchers and the Blood God, so you guessed some sort of magic was involved. The forest was currently a treasure trove full of fallen nuts and herbs just about to turn brown that would work well for food.

You couldn't help but wish that the past few days' events would have happened in late spring when you would have had more time to prepare for the onslaught of winter. Granted, the winters weren't nearly as bad as the ones rumored to occur in the Antarctic Empire, but they were still enough to bury everything under a foot or so of snow if a storm were to pass through.

As night fell, you backed yourself against the temple, listened for any monster sounds approaching, and planned. Your first mission would be shelter. You'd need wood, that's for sure, and maybe some mud.

You weren't exactly well-versed in this whole "building a house by hand" thing, but you were going to have to figure it out.

After your shelter was built, you'd focus on scavenging for food and finding a reliable source of water nearby. Your small container of drinking water wouldn't last you very long if you weren't careful. You were probably getting close to dehydration now if you weren't already.

Then, well, you didn't really have a plan for then. Probably find more food, make some better tools, and start preparing for winter. It wasn't exactly a detailed plan, but it did cover the necessities.

The next day, you began chopping down saplings with your sword. It wasn't efficient, but it was better than nothing. You went to gather mud to create a small roof for your shelter, but you found none. The dirt was as dry as if you were in the middle of a summer heatwave. You could still hear those damned bullfrogs croaking about, but the forest was so thick that it was extremely difficult to manually find the water source they resided in.

That night, you had a kinda-sorta shelter set up, which made you feel much less exposed even though there were gaps in the branches, and it was barely big enough for you to fit inside.

You dozed off that morning and ate most of what remained of your rations upon waking. You also drank most of your water. You set out on a hunt for fresh water and any food you could find along the way, but when night fell once more, you had nothing more than a few nuts and herbs to show for it.

By the fifth day, you felt as if you were on the verge of collapse. You are the last messily scraps of your food, and you finished off your water. Despite this, your arms and legs still felt as if they were full of lead, and a headache that had been brewing for a while descended upon you.

You dozed a little in the morning, but your exhaustion hadn't abated. It probably had something to do with the lack of water and sleep, but you decided to ignore that and continue your hunt for water. This time, when you came back empty handed as the sun set behind the trees, you were beginning to panic.