the fold part 2

We were steadily going through the fold, only hearing the subtle noise of the car moving on the tracks. I was still holding Kaz's hand, but I'll admit I am a little surprised he hasn't let go of me yet. We were all on edge but doing our best to remain calm for the other people present. If I had to bet, I'm sure Jesper will be the one to crack first.

A few moments later, there was a loud clanging noise. I jumped a little and increased my pressure on Kaz's hand. I took a deep breath, trying to assure myself that the volcra wouldn't be attracted by one little noise. Kaz lightly brushed his thumb against the back of my hand. Jesper's hands instinctively moved to his guns.

"What was that?" Jesper asked for all of us.

"I've erected a system of timers along the line. Bits of metal hung on poles to keep me apprised of our pace," Arken explained to us. I am slightly surprised by the simplicity of the idea, but I'm sure it is extremely useful.

"How did you know where to put the poles?" I asked

"Physics and engineering account for most of my success," Arken says.

"And the rest?" Inej questions.

"What we might call divine intervention." I internally chuckled a bit at his comment, knowing how crossing the fold was left completely up to fate.

"After all, the fold is thick with volcra, and the tracks are not complete." I could feel everyone's hearts skip a beat at Arkens announcement, mine included. I grip Kaz's hand even harder, and he flinches. I notice, and release it, opting to have my hands at the ready if anything went wrong.

"I'm sorry," Jesper voices, "did you say the tracks weren't complete?"
"I said they aren't complete." Arken corrected, keeping his voice calm.

"What?" Jesper said in disbelief. He began to move towards Arken but was cut off.

"No moving! We're a tad late, more coal." Kaz added a bit more into the flame, and while his exterior showed no signs of fear, his heart gave him away.

"Back to the real issue," Jesper continued his statement from before, "We're on tracks. That don't connect to OTHER TRACKS?" I decided to calm Jesper slightly, his anxiety would do no good for the rest of us. I moved my hands together, only Kaz and Inej noticing what I was doing. Kaz gave me a thankful look.

"Yes, there's a gap, but-"
"You said you could get us through," Kaz said angrily.

"HoW MuCH oF A gAP?" Jesper said again, so I slowed his heart rate even more. He noticed me doing so this time, and gave me a little look, not saying anything.

"I built slats on the car, they roll into place under the wheels," Arkens words calmed Kaz and me slightly. "The turbine creates enough wind to push us all the way to the eastern tracks. As long as we don't shift our weight." The last comment was directed at Jesper.

Another of his signals clanged.

"Now, the noise may attract the volcra, but it's the only way across." I almost stood up to slap Arken when he spoke these words, but Kaz's presence beside me calmed me down.

"Now, there's a nest nearby, " Arken said.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I voiced. I had no doubt my presence combined with the loud noises coming from the car had already sent the volcra in our direction.

"We'll be fine!" Arken tried to reassure us, "If they haven't attacked us in..." The unmistakable sound of a volcra growling outside of the car sent us all into high alert. Jesper put his hands on his guns, Inej grabbed one of her knives, I had my hands at the ready, and Kaz was just looking at Arken angrily while white-knuckling his cane.