Part 2

"Good job letting them escape." 

Following their encounter with Karli, Bucky was urgent to have Sam meet someone back in the States, which gave Alex a chance to check in with the boss.

"I didn't - friends of yours showed up and the new Captain America and his partner also made an appearance."

"Oooo exciting. I was wondering about him. How'd Karli and her minions like that?"

"No so much."

"Oh, I can  imagine. I can just imagine. And they're more acquaintances than friends. The one tried to kill me."

"I'm pretty sure that wasn't his fault."

"Who told you that? His wife? She'll do anything to protect him. And he still tried to kill me, and almost succeeded.  But doesn't matter, not now. The main thing is that Karli got away. Are you still in Germany?"

"Ja."

Sharon chuckled at her snark. "We need to find those stolen vials - they could be anywhere."

"How can you be so sure she hasn't already given them to others?"

"Where are they?"

"True. She could still be keeping them out of the spotlight for now."

"She already has a personal little army. My bet is that she'll keep those vials close. Close, but not too close. Nagel's working on more so she might try stealing them again."

"I think it would be stupid of her to set foot back in the Power Broker's domain."

"It would be."

"And I think she knows that. Anyone would know that."

"Still, keep a sharp eye out."

"Copy that."

The line went dead. 

Alex sighed and pocketed her phone, rubbing a hand over her face.

What had she gotten herself into?

------------------------------------------

She had checked herself into a Munich hostel when she heard from Sam again.

"Long time no talk, Angel."

He chuckled.  "Are you still in Germany?"

"Yes."

"Any chance you could meet us in Berlin?"

"Of course. Where at?"

"The high-security prison."

"Okay... Do I want to know?"

"Not really..."

That was how, several hours later, she found herself in the German capital. Sam sent her the exact location to meet at.

"You picked a very interesting meeting place - very specific: 'the parking garage beneath the high-security prison.'"

"Trust me it wasn't my idea. Thanks for meeting us."

"Of course."

He and Bucky were joined this time by Bucky's wife, Carina, Alex's doppelganger - or rather the doppelganger of the woman Alex was a clone of (complicated, she knew. Oh, did she know) - who she had also met while Team Cap was on the run those years ago.