Games

I'd never seen people talk so much trash while playing pool... and simultaneously lose. I sat alone at the table after our food was brought out by some young woman in a short skirt, that all three of my.. uh.. new friends? Certainly took notice of.
As I sat there watching the trio trash talk three non local college boys, I couldn't help but feel pity as the trio was losing... like.. a lot.

"How embarrassing..." I muttered to myself.

"Haha, Now that's what any knucklehead would think who didn't know how my boys play." Millie said from beside me out of nowhere. She took a seat and grinned.

"You see, look at them.. and watch carefully now, really watch them. See they've lost two games, each of the boys had to pay up ten measly bucks... you know, because they're poor local boys. Or so that's the game they play. They'll lose three more games... but first, Jungkook will tap out, claim he's out of cash and he'll ask one of them to spot him for this game. See?"

I watched as Jungkook started rubbing his neck and shaking his head. He then went over to Jimin and Tae and whispered in their ears. Jimin shook his head and Tae pulled his wallet out and nodded, Jungkook and him shared a handshake and a 'bro hug' before Jimin tossed money onto the table near the billiard table, Tae tossed more on top of it. The college brats counted it and nodded, adding their money onto the pile. I watched with wide eyes... okay so they were acting?

"Okay, I get it... they're losing on purpose but... why?" I asked Millie as I continued to watch them.

"Because little doe, college brats like that are easy to fool. They'll assume your new friends there are worthless, easy money milkers. When in fact it's the other way around. You see, Summer will soon be here in full swing, their little college friends will hear the story of how they beat the asses of some locals. Then they'll bring those friends here.. and I'll raise the price on food and drinks, And once all their little friends have gathered and are tossing money into a big pool against our local boys.... That sneaky trio will suddenly win. Those college boys won't want to look like fools in front of their friends so they'll toss down even more money... and more... and more. Till they have no choice but to call it a night." Millie explained.

"That's..."

"Genius?" She asked.

"I mean.. yeah, but wouldn't that just make them tell others not to play against those three?" I asked.

"Oh, little doe... To big bad college boys like that, no one stays in their mind longer than four hours. They don't remember locals. You want to know how many times they've asked my name, just tonight?" She laughed.

"Ah, I understand." I replied. She looked me over and smiled as she stood.

"I'll be getting back to serving, but you call me over if you need anything little doe." She grinned and gave a little wave as she walked off.

I sat there still, sipping my drink and watching the whole thing play out. They lost as predicted, this time Jimin and Jungkook looked like they were going to tap out.. but Tae payed their way.. emptying his wallet onto the table. And as they played the last game I started to finally pick up on some tells. Jimin shot left handed but he was right handed, he also seemed to aim a quarter inch to the right of each shot on purpose. Jungkook used too much force, making it look like his frustration and anger fueled him. Tae would do this thing where he'd over chalk the end of his pool stick and then aim down more than needed, often resulting in him not hitting the cue ball too far.

They really had this act of 'dumb locals' down to an art. I can't say I'd ever seen anything like it before, and it was certainly interesting to watch. Despite their losing, the three came back to the table with huge smiles on their faces.

"Enjoy the show pretty?" Tae said as he sat down next to me, Jimin sat beside him and Jungkook sat on my other side.

"That was... definitely interesting to watch. You're good actors." I commented. This seemed to make Tae and Jungkook quite happy as the two had huge smiles on their faces. Jimin leaned closer to the table and grinned.

"Just wait till they come back. In a few weeks, we'll have made back what he lost... maybe ten fold." He grinned before leaning back in his chair.

"Well that sounds like it would be fun to watch." I said. Jimin raised his eyebrow and leaned forward again.

"Oh yeah? You want to see us wipe the floor with them?" He asked with a smirk.

"Sounds fun." I replied. He chuckled and nodded as he leaned back.

"Alright, then Tae will bring you along. I guess I was wrong about you." He kept his eyes on me for a few moments more before looking over to Millie. "I'll be back." He said as he got up from the table and sauntered over to her.

"So... you're not.. like... banging your Boss, right?" Tae asked out of nowhere.

"Uh.. what?" I asked in confusion as I looked at him.

"Your boss.. Mr. Kroger. You're not banging him behind his wife's back... are you? I mean.. like... it's cool if you are but I just... wanted to be clear if that's what was going on, you know so I can keep my mouth shut. Since his wife is friends with my mom.. kind of." Tae said, making me make a disgusted look on my face.

"Ew..." I said. But could I say more? These guys didn't like rich people, so how could I tell them I'm not like that without fully lying.

"I don't think she is, I think she's just the caretaker for those kids. You know how it can be. Some of those richie bastards will hire a nanny for the summer and give her a car to use. Mr. Kroger's hand on her back didn't mean anything... I mean, he might have been trying to make a move but I bet he was just trying not to get sued if she tripped and fell." Jungkook shrugged after he spoke. I just nodded, not knowing what else to say.

"Ah, now that.. that makes sense. Okay cool." Tae said with a smile. We stayed for a while longer, the guys were laughing it up over their faux billiards game. Each one pointing out their favorite moment, and complimenting each other on their acting skills.

After a little while they dropped me back off at my dad's car. I waved them goodbye, slowly getting into my dad's car now that it nearly 2am. When I arrived back home I noticed Rebekah's car wasn't there, so they were most likely still out. I put the keys in the main house, Julia was still awake to my surprise.

"Welcome home. Did you have fun?" She asked in a hushed tone with a smile on her face.

"I think I made some friends... I'm not really sure. It was... an interesting night to say the least." I explained. She chuckled and nodded.

"Off to bed with you then. I'll wait up for your father and that woman." She rolled her eyes at her last words. I giggled softly and nodded, not all too surprised that they weren't home yet. I walked out of the front and went around back to the guest house, unlocking it with my key. I went in, locked the door and decided to shower before bed. Once in my lounge pants and t-shirt I laid on my bed and sighed.

Summer would be here soon and the real torture would start... the parties, the prancing around acting like the perfect little family...

If only I had an escape...