On The Planet It's Farthest From

"I only have one spare room. One of you will have to sleep on the floor." Owen said as he led Axel and Laxh into his home. "Dinner will be ready in a few minutes. You can join us in the dinning area if you like."

                "I think it'd be best if we dine alone." Axel placed an arm around Laxh's shoulders. "We have things we need to discuss."

                "Suit yourselves." Owen turned and walked away from them, leaving them in a hall carved from hard sand. Laxh ran her hands along the wall, feeling the intricate carvings in it.

                "Must be a historical scene. Funny, I don't remember locals being that ugly. These can't be normal Human figures." Axel commented. He was about to say something more but decided against it. She's different today. She isn't listening. Is there something wrong? Maybe I should ask her what's wrong.... No, she might want to be left alone. Why does she have to be so beautiful when she hates me?

                 "So," Laxh interrupted Axel's train of thought. "You're sleeping on the floor, right?"

                                                              _____________________

                  Laxh fiddled with her spoon and looked despairingly into a bowl of lumpy soup. She looked up to see Axel staring at her again. What does that creep want? Axel placed his hand on the table and inched it closer to her hand. With out meaning to, Laxh blushed. Oh, no. I don't like where this is going.

                  "Lash," Axel scratched the back of his neck. The farm clothes Owen had lent them were itchy. "Why did you say we were runaway slaves?"

                  "Because he was giving us information. We can get even more by studying the architecture of this house. Which reminds me..." Laxh pulled a notepad out of her pocket and started scribbling down facts. "Sandstorms..... slaves..... this Jaba character.... and the name of this place, Tatween." She mumbled.

                   "Don't forget that Alien mural in the hall, or the fact that sandstorms seem to be a regular occurrence."

                   "Right. This particular house is separated from town. I wonder what the town looks like? Is it the only town?"

                   "The clothes on our backs suggest that this is a plantation sort of gig. Maybe this Owen fellow has slaves of his own?" Axel moved seats to sit next to Laxh and watch her write.

                   "He can't have." Laxh didn't bother looking up from her notes. "He wouldn't have helped us if he thought his slaves might try the same stunt."

                   "True." Axel slowly pried Laxh's notebook and pencil out of her hands. "Speaking of stunts.... why did you grab my arm?" He held the notebook and pencil behind his back.

                    Annoyed and trying to work, Laxh ignored the question. She reached for the notebook but Axel dropped them and held her close to where Somebodies kept their hearts. His lips faintly touched Laxh's when she pulled away and ran from the room.

                    Way to go, Romeo. Axel let out an irritated sigh.

                                                              ____________________

                    Laxh pretended to be asleep when Axel walked into the room. Just relax. Axel's not a complete moron. He'll leave you alone if you push him away hard enough. A voice in Laxh's head told her. He can't love you. Neither of you have a heart.

                     Axel grabbed a pillow from off the bed and dropped it on the floor. She's out, good. Axel slipped off his shirt and lay-ed down on the floor. I've made a fool out of myself today. I hope she'll forget it, but I never will.

                     When Axel finally nodded off, Laxh was already asleep, tossing and turning as the nightmare she could never remember attacked her again.

                                                              _____________________

                     Laxh's nightmare caused a lightning pain to coarse through her body, as she yanked away from Saix again in her memory. "Oc- uj- l-lies. Y-you aren't looking for me. No one ever finds me, even though I'm not hidden." Laxh twisted and turned wrapping herself up tightly in the sheets.

                      "I know. No human will ever understand the life we Nobodies live." The man in the dream waved his hand in front of Laxh and the large golden letters appeared again. "Your name is long. It will have to be cut."

                     "NO PLEASE DON'T!!" Laxh screamed out loud, waking up Axel. Angry, fearfull tears flooded from her face as she screamed again. "NO!!!"

                      Axel jumped to his feet, grabbed Laxh and started shaking her. "Hey! Wake up!" In Laxh's dream Saix made a slashing movement and the sharp pain sent Laxh into deep sleep again. Or it would have if Axel hadn't shook her some more. "Lash!!"

                      Laxh groaned. "Wha- Axel? What is it?" An unintended tear slid down her cheek. "Is something wrong?"

                      Axel scoffed and searched her eyes for a minute before he spoke. "There most certainly is something wrong. You were screaming. Why in the worlds were you screaming?!"

                       Laxh sat, bewildered. "I don't remember anything. I'm sorry if I woke you up." Her face and neck was covered with tears now, and she couldn't stop herself from sobbing. "Go back to bed, Axel."

                       Axel held Laxh's face in his hands. "No." He gently pulled her lips to his. "This is about your past isn't it?" Laxh nodded. "It's gonna be all right, Lashie. Once your memories come back the nightmares will end." Axel kissed her. "Stay strong."

                       "Okay." She whimpered as he held her close. "Was it like this when you were on the verge of remembering your memories, Lea?"

                        Axel cuddled Laxh. "Not exactly like this, but close. I don't know if I screamed or not, but I always woke up in a cold sweat." He rested his chin on her head. "There, there, Squirt. It's gonna be fine. I'm here. I'll make those horrible memories be nice to you." He laughed.

                        Laxh giggled a little too, and placed her hand on Axel's chest. Somebodies are really lucky people, they have hearts.... she thought. I wish we were somebodies....