Chapter 1

15 years after the Prologue:
Hiccups POV:

    I was sitting in my living room sketching in my notebook some designs for a better catapult, waiting for the inevitable to happen. There was going to be a dragon raid tonight. I knew it, but my father wouldn’t really believe me.
    My father, Stoick ‘the vast’ Haddock. 400 pounds of muscles, larger than life, big enough beard to lose a herd of yaks in it, with auburn hair and green eyes. Also the chief of the Berk. Yup, my father is the big man.
    And there was me. Hiccup ‘useless’ Horrendous Haddock. Extremely small, sarcastic, with forest green eyes and dark auburn hair. The exact opposite of what my father ordered when he requested an offspring from the gods. Hence the name Hiccup, runt of the litter.
    So yeah, I am basically cursed. Actually I was blessed by Odin, the all father, but no one knows or will ever believe me. I sighed and started to finish the last couple of details for a new catapult design I have been working on. That was until I heard the roar of a dragon.
    I smiled in amusement and then put my notebook away and walked to the door. Out of habit I opened the door, waited a second and then closed it. I felt the heat of the monstrous nightmare flames through the door. I smirked and muttered, “Can’t resist torching all of this, can you.”
    I waited a second before opening the door and rushing out and towards the forge. People were screaming and giving out war cries and dragons were picking up any scraps of food they can possibly manage to steal. I dodge a few spines from a deadly nadder and then looked up as the big torch lights went up to the sky. I studied it for a second before muttering, “Spearhead formation again for the fifth time.”
    I smirked and then remembered there was also something else with the spearhead formation. The night fury. I sighed and kept running towards the forge and ignored the people shouting to me to get inside. And my father who was cursing me, when he saw me, for being so skinny.
    Yeah, just my routine dragon raid experience. I dodge past a couple of vikings who were raging and were throwing bolas at flying gronckles, but the dragons ducked and the bolas hit another viking in the head. There was a moment of confusion, before they blamed me for interrupting them in their throw.
    I just rolled my eyes and ran into the forge and was immediately greeted by Gobber's cheery voice, “Glad to see you could join the party. Thought that you were taken.”
    Gobber the Belch, my godfather. Almost as big as my father, but with a round belly and only two limbs. Gobber lost his left forearm and his right foot during a dragon attack and was replaced by a wood stump and a clamp. He had a blond braided mustache and was bald headed and blue eyes.
    I smiled at his greeting and replied, “Oh me. Nah they won’t know what to do with all of this.” I gestured to my non-existence muscles as I put my apron on.
    “Well, they need tooth peeks, don’t they?” he joked back. I rolled my eyes and opened the window door for the customers. And as I predicted I was greeted by annoyed eyes of the villagers. They threw their weapons that needed to be sharpened or fixed at me. I tried to catch it all, but some dropped to the floor and a hammer landed on my foot and as I caught a sword it cut me on my hand. I bit my lip, but quickly moved to the forge and threw the weapons on it to heat it up.
     I quickly look at my palm to see blood. I sighed silently, but then went back to sharpening a sword. After a few seconds it was done and I gave it to the frustrated viking. I then moved to straightening the blades. I moved as fast as I could and fixed all the weapons that came to me and gave them back in a minute to whoever wanted them, with a spare bola to keep them all happy.
    I worked and for a few minutes until I felt how a big dragon flew over the forge. Probably a monstrous nightmare. Then there was the sound of it blowing its flames. I smirked and then sneaked a glance out of the forge. And there they were all of them throwing water over the flames.
    Fishlegs Ingerman was really big, but small legs. Was actually extremely smart, but had no bravery. He was actually extremely kind, but was scared to be bullied so he kept quiet and just went with the rest of the group. He had blond hair and blue eyes.
    Then there was my idiotic cousin, Snotlout Jorgenson. Was short, but stocky and an enormous ego and dumbest brain you will ever find. He had black hair and blue eyes.
    And then there were the twins who were fighting over a bucket. Ruffnut and Tuffnut Thorston, both lanky with long blond hair and grey eyes. They were actually smart, but decided to use all of their talents to praise Loki, norse god of micheve. And I was their most ‘easiest’ customer.
    And then there was…. Astrid Hofferson… my crush... and my best friend… when we were little. She was builded like a warrior and was probably the best in our age. She had braided blond hair and azure eyes that sparkled. And she looked like a goddess. She threw the water over the water and then flipped hair and her bangs covered her left eye, but she looked so gorgeous. But it would never happen because…
    Then another person walked up to her and she smiled at him and kissed the person on the lips. Hunter Vitellius. The perfect son for any viking parent and Astrid’s boyfriend. Tall and build like a buff yak. He had brown hair and brown murderous eyes. He had some intelligence, but his personality was the worst. And his favorite plaything was me.
    I quickly looked away before they could start making out. It was one of the worst things to see. I quickly hammered the blade, with new strength and then gave it to its owner. I moved like I didn’t register what I was doing, but knew farewell what I was doing and would remember it all. My blessing or well curse to thank.
    I was broken out of my thoughts as I heard the famous whistle. I grinned as I heard the villagers cry out, “NIGHT FURY,” and “GET DOWN!!” I didn’t really move, just looked out of the shop window and saw how it dived through the night sky and blew a plasma blast at the watchtower. I watched as I saw the outline of the dragon and then how the watchtower crumbled down to the grounds. Looks like I will be working on that soon. Thank you, Mr Night Fury. (Note my sarcasm.)
    I then heard how it dived again and shot at the watchtower again. It really had the best aim out of all the dragons. I smiled a bit at the beast, and then heard how Gobber was changing his tools. I sighed and said, before he could, “Don’t worry, Gobber. I will man the fort.”
    He didn’t really reply, but I could hear him grinning. He let out a war cry and could hear him limping back to action. I smiled, but soon faded away when I heard angry villagers shouting at me to work faster. I just sighed and hammered the blade and gave it to the angry viking, who just took it and ran off, without even sparing me a glance. I mumbled under my breath, “Why, thank you Hiccup for hammering your arm off to get my blade ready. Ahh just doing my job, but your welcome ungrateful villager.”
     I continued to work on all the weapons that needed to be fixed and listened how dragons blew fire and how vikings gave out war cries. I was never a fan of it. Multiple reasons, but the most important one was my mother. She believed that there could be peace between us and even though it made her unpopular, she still did it. And I feel like I would be betraying her if I fought to kill dragons.
    There were several more reasons, but most of them were all theories and I can’t be sure. I slammed the hammer on the bent sword once again and straightened it again, when I heard the growl of a gronckle behind me. I glanced over my shoulder and saw how it was inside the forge, and its mouth was wide open as it was about to launch a lava blast. It must have snuck in or someone must have actually let it get in, but I couldn’t figure it out now.
    Instincts took over as I dropped the hammer and sword and ran to the window and dove through it as the whole forge blew up. I fell on the ground hard and layed down as wood pieces flew around me and put my hands over my head. I curled up and braced for something to fall on me, but all I heard was fire, war cries, dragon roars and destruction. And then I heard Gobber yell, “Me forge!”
    I looked up and regretted it immediately. In front of me was the biggest monstrous nightmare I have ever seen. It was scarlet red colour and it was eyeing me with his thin yellow eyes. It growled and then lit up and roared at me.
    I nearly jumped out of my skin and started to crawl backwards as fast as I could. The dragon slowly walked at me and I could see that it was preparing to kill me. It opened its mouth and I saw how green smoke filled his mouth. I felt how the tears were pouring down my cheeks as I saw how my life will end.
    But then the most magical thing happened. Just as the dragon was about to fire, a purple blast hit the dragon on the side. It roared in agony and then there came an extremely loud dragon roar. The dragon looked up at the sky and then roared and flew up into the sky, with all the other dragons.
    And I just stared at the spot where the dragon was and only one thing came into my mind. The night fury saved me. I just sat there and stared in shock and disbelief. I didn’t even stare as all the dragons flew away with all the things they stole. I was just too shocked.
    I was brought out of my shock, as an angry four hundred pound chief marched up to me. “Hiccup,” he growled, his voice dangerously low. I quickly came to my feet and stood up to face the giant. “What is the meaning of this?” he asked as he pointed his finger behind me.
    I didn’t need to turn around to know that he was pointing to the burning forge. I opened my mouth to defend myself, but my dad interrupted me, “Why did you let the dragon blow up our forge? When you are left alone in the forge, you need to guard it. You can already not do anything of use in there, you could at least have protected it. Now I have another thing to worry about besides feeding the entire village. What if the outcasts attack us? What if there is another dragon raid? What will we do then, useless?”
    I looked up at my fathers green and studied them for a moment, but only saw what I always saw. Hate, disgust, disappointment, anger and most of all, no love. None of it, that I ever saw in his eyes towards me, like I saw in all the kids, in my age, parents eyes, when they looked at their children. None of it.
    I felt my anger rising and I thought about a way to react. I just knew that I didn’t want to be recognised as his son anymore. First one was to kill him. My father won’t expect it and my father was a great warrior, but one slash with my dagger and he would be dead. But that isn’t something my mother would have approved. But there was another option.
    I stepped towards my father and said in an unemotional voice, “Then disown me and get rid of me.” He looked slightly taken back by my response, but I didn’t want to stop.
    “Disown me as your son,” I said clearer and harder for everyone to hear and they seemed shocked, “And take on a new heir to be your successor, because I clearly don’t understand what it is to be a chief. So do yourself and the village a great favor and disown me and give my birthright to someone else.”
    There was silence until the villagers began to roar in agreement. For the first time they agreed with me. It wasn’t something I hoped for, but it was definitely a different feeling, but my father stood there shell shocked. “What is wrong, Father?” I spat his ‘title’ out with venom, “Can’t you do it?”
     He looked at me confused and the villagers began to become impatient and started to shout at him and began to cheer his name. I smirked and said in a challenging voice, “What is it father always said to me. No task is too small nor too difficult for the chief for their people. Well the people are demanding something, chief. You better not fail them.”
     He looked at me more confused, and almost a bit hurt. Not possible. There can’t be anything like that ever. But I knew I had him and he was going to do it no matter if he liked it or not. But he was probably thrilled.
    So he held up his hand and everyone went silent. “Hiccup, you are not worthy to be called my son and won’t be capable of doing your duties as the next chief of my bloodline, so I hereby disown you as my son and take your birth right away. You will no longer be recognised as my son and you will no longer have any ties to me, family wise. So you will have to leave my house.”
    There was thunderous applause and everyone cheered and Stoick had a neutral face. I just smirked and said, “Yes, sir.”
    “Now go and take what you have and get it out of my house,” he said in a low voice.
    He studied me carefully and I just bowed my head slightly, to mock him and replied, “As you wish.”
    I then started to walk towards my old home, but the chief then said, “Gobber make sure he gets there and cleans all the mess he made.” My mess? Actually your mess and it is already cleaned. But nonetheless Gobber came along with me and I didn’t mind.
    We walked down the pathway as the villagers cheered and some of them gave jackal laughs and some of the kids, my age, threw some old comments and I shot back with a new sarcastic comment that made them red with anger.
    Gobber and I walked it silently towards my old home and I broke the silence by apologizing, “I’m sorry about the forge, Gobber.”
    He smiled a bit amused, but I could tell that he was hurting. “It is alright laddie. I can rebuild and get all my tools back, but your relationship with your father, well that is more difficult.”
    I nodded, but then argued, “Well, there isn’t anything to rebuild Gobber. And it seems that he doesn't want to build anything really together, except digging my grave. And all I ever wanted was a chance, but never got it because of how I look.”
    “Now listen here laddie,” he replied and I turned to him before I entered my old house, “Your doesn’t father doesn't like what he sees of you, it is the inside that he doesn’t like.”
    I looked at him weirdly. I knew he was trying to help me, but that did quite the opposite. I took the door handle and said, “Thank you for summing that up.” I then pushed the door open and walked in and he limped behind me.
    I looked for anything that was out of place, but found nothing. “Look laddie, what I’m trying to say is that you should stop trying to be something you are not.”
    I froze when he said that. I turned towards him to see him looking around the place obviously avoiding my eyes. I sighed and said, “All I ever wanted to do was make him proud, Gobber. But that is impossible.” He looked like he wanted to defend him, but I beated him, “And don’t defend him Gobber. You know that he never showed me any approval or sign that he was proud of me, unless I have clearly missed the event. So please just leave it alone.”
    He looked reluctant, but nodded. “So what is the mess you need to clean up?”
    I started to walk towards the stairs and replied, “I already cleaned his mess.”
    He nodded and looked at me apologetically and said, “You can stay at the forge if you want to, las.”
    I smiled and shook my head and replied, “Thanks Gobber. But I will be fine. I’ll come by later though, to help you rebuild it.”
    He smiled and looked like he wanted to argue, but I quickly showed him my face that told him that I was serious. He just nodded and gave me a smile of gratitude. He knew farewell that I was just as stubborn as my father and my mother so he just said, “Thanks laddie.”
    He then turned and walked out of the door and I smiled and went back up to my room. I quickly went to my desk and grabbed my drawer and opened it. I pulled out my books, notes and sketches and grabbed a satchel and threw it in. I then took another satchel and filled it with some clothes and a few extra daggers I had. I then walked to my bed and bent down and pulled a box out under my bed. Inside of it was a deadly nadder teddy. The only thing I have of my mother.
    I smiled at it and grabbed it and put it in my bag. I then stood up and grabbed another blanket and put it in my satchel. I looked up once more to see my room, where I grew up for the past fifthteen years. So few happy and a lot of lonely memories made here.
    I sighed and went to walk out of my room, when I heard the front door open and heavy footsteps enter the room. My father. I groaned inwardly and turned around and went towards my window. I didn’t want to see him right now, so I opened the shutters and climbed out. I then stepped out and on the slippery roof tiles. I took a slight breath and released the windowsill and slipped down to the ground.
     When I reached the ground, I bent down on my knees to prevent myself from falling and then began to run towards the woods. I kept running and running, until I reached the woods and then started to walk. I took one look at my home and then turned and walked towards my new home.