Chapter 10 - Shattered Friendship

Silence fills the room as Midas and Sophie stare at each other very awkwardly. Jules and the others could tell his anger was going to break free any time now.

"Um, Midas I-"

"Don't you dare speak to me young lady."

Sophie closes her mouth immediately as Midas begins to circle her.

"So let me get this right. I specifically told you to remain indoors to hide from John Jones and the Imagined Order. Isn't that correct?"

Sophie nods.

"That's right. And instead, you decide to sneak out behind my back and right under Marigold and Jules' noses going to the one place I had forbidden you to not go to. And now, Jones knows you're with me and will probably be sending out more guards to kill these 3 and take you away."

Guilt begins creeping up Sophie's back as Midas scolds her.

"You know, back at the Fortilla during the war, I alone was one of the only people who believed in you. Everyone else said I was insane to recruit a 15 year old kid."

"I'm 16 now Midas-"

Midas grabs her hand harshly, slamming her into the wall.

"No! This is where you ZIP IT YOUNG LADY!"

Now his anger was really starting to boil within him.

"I don't want to hear your excuses! That man you call a nice guy had bounty hunters murder my mother tonight. And who knows who'll be next!" He yells, taking the earpiece in Sophie's ear out. "And if you die...I think that death is on me. I don't need that on my already heavily traumatized mind."

Suddenly, Sophie also begins losing her patience!

"UGH!! I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON FOR MYSELF FOR ONCE!! IS IT THAT HARD TO FUCKING UNDERSTAND MIDAS?!"

The girls gasps in horror at this sudden backlash from Sophie against Midas. Even he's surprised at this response, but only gives him more of a reason to tell her off.

"All I want to do is help out! But no! I'm forced to sit down and watch everything unfold before me! You said you wanted to help me become an agent, but you refuse to give me a chance. Because anytime I find one, you tear it away before I can do anything! I'm tired of being seen as useless!" She yells in frustration. 

"You're really testing my patience missy. Push me further, you won't like what happens next." Midas threatens her.

"Y'know, it's probably YOUR OWN FAULT Agatha died! Because you were too focused on your little mission to show up quick enough! What were you even doing?!"

"How dare you claim me responsible for her death! And second, that's classified information."

"See?! There you go again! Hiding stuff from me! All because you think I'm useless when I'm not!"

In a fit of rage, a deafening slap goes across Sophie's face. The others can only gasp in shock as she lets out a scream. And using his other hand, Midas crushes the small earpiece into unfixable scraps. Sophie's cheek goes a dark red as she holds it, turning to Midas with tears brimming in her eyes.

"You know who you sound like right now Midas?"

He remains in a silent rage.

"You sound and acted like your dad...The guy you despised all your life."

"Maybe that's a good thing, because I've been TRYING to protect you! That's what a father does, and you refuse to listen!"

"Well guess what Midas?! YOU'RE NOT MY DAD, AND YOU CAN'T CONTROL MY LIFE!"