31. The second trial

Maddie's POV

"Wait, Hailey," I say, tugging on her arm as we walk to the car where Ian's waiting in the passenger seat. Him and Hailey are going to court with me, so we decided to carpool.

"What is it?" Hailey asks softly, pulling her jacket around her a little tighter because it's fairly cold.

The sky is gray and the clouds hang low, confirming the weather forecast's report that it will most likely rain later today.

"I'm sorry for being so distant lately," I mumble.

Her not being allowed to hug or touch me must have had some kind of impact on her and even though I know she would never bring it up, I know it must bother her.

Hailey frowns. "What do you mean? We've hung out almost daily these past two weeks to get ready for finals," she says.

I shake my head and glance past her for a second to see Ian on his phone in the car. "No, that's not what I mean. I- I know you like hugging people and stuff and I've kind of been avoiding you doing it to me and I...I don't know how to explain it, but it just makes me uncomfortable, and I just want you to know it has nothing to do with you, and I am so grateful for everything you're doing for me, and-"

Hailey laughs lightly, placing a hand on my shoulder before pulling it back quickly. "Jeez, Mads. Take a breath."

I do what I'm told before looking up to find Hailey sympathetically smiling at me.

"I know I can't ever possibly understand how you're feeling because you've been through so much, but I understand that you need your space and I am totally okay with not touching or hugging you if that makes you more comfortable. Okay? I'm just glad you're not shutting me out."

"Okay..." I say. "Can I give you a hug?"

Hailey snorts, opening her arms. "Of course, dummy."

I hug her for a moment and even though it's a fairly short embrace, it makes me feel a little better.

"Alright, come on now. We have to go unless you want to be late. We still have to pick up Elias, right?" Hailey says as she starts walking toward the car again.

"Yeah."

We both get into the car and start driving while Ian makes some small talk with me.

"So, Ash and your parents are coming, too?" he asks as he turns in his seat to look at me.

"Yes," I mumble, a heavy feeling sinking into my chest.

I'm glad my parents will be there, but I'm not sure how I feel about Ash coming along as well. He hasn't always been answering my calls the way he said he would and the times he did answer them our conversations were very short and shallow.

"Do I take a right here?" Hailey asks when we come to a stop at a red light, preventing Ian from asking another question.

"Uhm- no. Go left and then take a right," I say. Then I pull out my phone to text Elias that we're almost there.

When we pull into Elias' driveway a few minutes later, we see him already standing outside, the collar of his long jacket propped up agains the wind.

"Damn, this is where he lives?" Hailey asks, her eyes widening at the sight of the beach house.

"Yes. It used to be his grandmother's and when she passed away they renovated it- Oh, hey!" I say when Elias opens the back door. He slides into the seat next to me and buckles up.

He smiles and says, "Hey to you too," before thanking Hailey and Ian for picking him up.

Then we pull back onto the road and head to the courthouse. The closer we get, the more nervous I become, so I start bouncing my leg up and down.