Chapter Twenty One

Working at Tech Town should help me take my mind off the major fight I had with Leo and Bree. It's a mind-numbing job that provides a lot of anger for Scott and the customers, easily taking most everything off my mind during normal days. Unfortunately, it hasn't taken my mind off of the fight at all, probably because Bree still works here, too. I just haven't seen her here at all because she switched her shifts around, so we aren't working together at all. 

"Maggie, you need to bring out more phones from the back," Scott tells me, pulling me out of my mind. He has his arms crossed over his chest as he stares at me. "We're running out of samples out here."

"Alright."

I head to the backroom and open up the small closet in there. I really don't know why Scott thinks it's a good idea to keep all our electronics in a small closet that doesn't even have a lock on it. Doesn't he know that anyone could rob him easily? Probably not. He's not the brightest guy when it comes to the outside world.

Grabbing a few boxes of phones, I head back into the actual store. I groan when I see Caitlin waiting at the front desk for me. I know exactly why she's here. I'm just not ready for this conversation at all. She is my least favorite person on this planet, and that's saying something.

"Hello, Maggie," she says to me as I slip back behind the desk.

"Hi."

"I can't believe that you were around them for so long and didn't get any evidence!" Caitlin hisses at me, jumping directly into her speech that I bet she had planned since the bionic secret was revealed to the world. I try not to look at her as I stack a few boxes of phones underneath the desk where I'm standing at. "You had to let someone else steal our glory, didn't you? I thought we were working together to reveal the secrets about the freaks."

"They're not freaks," I reply shortly. Caitlin is glaring at me. "Besides, I never was around Bree or Chase or Adam much to get evidence. I was still trying to get close to Leo before infiltrating the rest of them."

"That's a lie, and we both know it," Caitlin says, rolling her eyes. "You and Bree are thick as thieves. I saw you two around everywhere I went. I bet you two went behind my back to create a little plan for yourselves."

I wish I could attack her right now. She's really getting on my nerves, but Scott will get very angry at me for making a customer mad even though this is Caitlin and he hates Caitlin. "You really don't know what you're talking about," I tell her. "Seriously, could you leave? I have to work, and you're making it very hard for me."

"No, I will not leave," she says, her voice rising a notch. "I am mad at you, Maggie."

"Yeah, get in line with everyone else who's mad at me."

"I thought we were partners," Caitlin continues. "I thought we were friends. We were supposed to take down those people together, but you had to go and catch feelings for one of them. Or was it all of them? I can't really tell because you were stuck like glue to the whole group."

"I'm done!" I say loudly, loud enough to draw the attention of Scott and a few customers who are slowly walking around the store like they can't figure out what to buy. Caitlin looks like she's about to scream when Scott makes his way over to us, but before she can do that, I say, "I'm done with you, Caitlin, and I'm done working here. I can't do this anymore."

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" Scott asks me. "Because no one quits from Tech Town. No, they get fired."

"Well, I guess I'm the first one to quit," I say angrily. "Sorry to break your record, Scott. I guess I'm different than everyone else."

"What about our deal?" Caitlin asks as I push through the crowd that is slowly forming in Tech Town, heading toward the backroom. "We had a deal, Maggie! And you broke it. Do you have any idea what happens to people who breaks my deals?"