Chapter 4

Chapter 4

As we approached our lockers, I spotted Nathan. He is talking to a blond-haired guy, looking stunned. “I don’t know, okay?” I heard him say, “I just don’t know.”

“Man, you’re fucked.” the blond said.

“Shut up. Shit. What am I gonna do?” Nathan ran his hand through his chestnut hair. “What if she finds…” The blond guy started to say but stopped when he caught me staring. Nathan turned around and saw me. He held my gaze and I, mortified, quickly looked away and tried to appear nonchalant. I stood in front of my locker and swiftly entered the combo.

“Hey Jasper, hey Nathan.” Tina greeted them.

“Hey Tina. Well, what do we have here? Hi prettyface. I’m Jasper.” The blond-haired guy gave me a grin and held out his hand.

“Oh, hello. My name’s Katie. Katie Flynn.” I reached out to shake his hand but Jasper held my hand and kissed my knuckles. Wow. I didn’t know guys still do that. To my dismay, of course, I blushed. Nathan leaned against the locker and said nothing – he’s just watching our whole exchange.

“Jasper, the number one charmer…” Tina laughed, “Aw, Katie’s blushing!”

“I... I’m not. I was just caught off guard.” I chuckled, my face still hot.

“Well, it was nice talking to you, girls, but we’ve got practice in five. So, I guess, I’ll just see you around?” Jasper adjusted his bag over his shoulder. I gave him a small smile and nodded, “Yeah.”

A phone went off and I watched as Nathan reached for his phone inside his pocket. He looked at the screen and his jaw clenched. Nathan answered the call and I heard him say, “Hey babe.” His eyes flicked towards mine and I shifted my gaze away from him, closing my locker.

“Tonight? Okay, VIv. I’ll be knocking on your window at 10.” I heard him sigh. Annoyed, I started walking towards the direction of the parking lot. Tina caught up beside me and gave me a look. “What’s wrong?”

What is wrong with Nathan? I swear he sounded so bored! Was that his girlfriend he’s talking to? If I were Viv, I’d be offended. But of course, I wouldn’t be inviting him to my room. Knocking on the window. I internally snorted. Really? “Who’s Viv?”

Tina raised her brow at me, “Vivian Rivers. She’s Nathan’s latest conquest. Why are you asking?”

I shrugged, “I’m the new girl.”

She snorted and shook her head, “If I didn’t know any better… I’d say you’re attracted to Nathan.” I stopped walking and looked at her.

“What?” She gave me a sly smirk.

“I’m not! Come on, I’m not that type of girl.” I pulled my hair out of the half ponytail and massaged my head. Jeez, she’s giving me a headache.

“Been there, done that.” Tina said in a sing-song voice, “Now, let’s go home… Shall we?”

------------

As soon as I got home, I went straight to my room and changed my outfit. I put on Van’s shirt and my pink drawstring shorts. Mom’s not here yet so I decided to lie down on my bed and scroll through my messages. Van’s text message stopped me short. I didn’t get to reply to his message yet and I don’t know if it’s a good idea to do so…

I terribly miss him, too. But he was the one who said that long distance relationships do not work. At all. I tried convincing him – maybe, it will work for us but he sadly shook his head and disagreed. I don’t blame him. His parents tried long distance but after five months, he found out that his dad was cheating.

Oh to hell with it! I started typing, ‘I miss you, too.’ I touched send before I change my mind. After a few minutes, he replied.

‘Can I call you?’

I sat up, my heart beating wildly in my chest. Yes, yes, yes! I’ve missed his voice so much! I quickly sent ‘Of course. :)’

My phone rang and I took a deep breath before answering, “Hello?”

“Hey, cupcake.” The sound of his voice tugged at my heartstrings. I closed my eyes and tried not to cry. Get your shit together, Katie.

“Katie?” Van said on the other line. I cleared my throat, “Van…”  I heard him let out a breath. Why must this be awkward? I lightly banged my head against the headboard. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

“How are you?”

“I miss… I… I’m fine. You?” I put my head on my palm. What is the matter with you, Katie? I sounded so awkward!

“I’m not fine, Katie. Not one bit.” He whispered.

“Did something happen to…” I start to say.

“No, no. My mum’s fine. It’s just… Katie, I really miss you. I can’t – I don’t want to be without you.” He said, “I know I was the one who broke it off between us – that was a very stupid move – but, cupcake…” My grip on my phone tightened, anticipating the words that’ll come. Please say it, please say it. I chant in my head.

“…Katie, I don’t know if this will work but I know that I really love you. Will you take me back?” He finished.

There. My heart is jumping with so much joy and the waterworks start. I can’t speak. I’m too happy to hear those words from him. He never said those three words to me before. Now, he has admitted to himself that he loves me. Van loves me!

I sniffle and gave out a light laugh, “Gladly.”

“Good.” He let out a sigh of relief, “So hey, I’ve gotta go. I need to run some errands for my mum.” He hung up and what the truck was that?

What. The. Hell? I frowned at my phone to check if he really hung up on me. I don’t understand what just happened. Was he even serious about this whole thing? Offended, I threw my phone across my bed. Maybe he isn’t serious about it… maybe he was just messing with my head… Ugh, Katie. How could you be so naïve?! Hah. Shame on you for being so pathetic.

I heard doorbell rang. I frowned. My mom has her keys; why would she ring the doorbell? Oh, maybe it’s Tina. Still pissed off, I trudged down the stairs. I opened the door and the sight before me made my heart stop.

Oh my God.

A/N: He he. Hope you liked it.