Chapter 33

Lydia's hands couldn't move fast enough. Aliens surrounded her, and there was only so much her powers could do. This was all new, and there was no preparation for it, but Lydia wasn't giving up anytime soon.

Natasha had been lost in the masses moments after the first wave of creatures attacked. It concerned the younger girl, but her focus remained on the aliens around her, preventing them from getting to Vision. The comm in her ear was easy to ignore. It was only a distraction in her eyes.

Using her abilities, Lydia created a barrier and launched it forward, taking down four extraterrestrials. But for every one knocked down, two more seemed to take its place. It was a never-ending battle. 

By chance, she caught sight of a metal object soaring at Rhodey, who didn't have enough time to stop it. The moment it made contact with his body, he went flying backward. Lydia simply reacted, encasing him in a purple glow. "Rhodey!" The impact was minimal. The force field kept him safe. Using the already-created shield, she forced back several creatures rushing at him.

"Thanks, kid," Rhodey was back on his feet in seconds.

Lydia never had the chance to respond. The aliens were still everywhere. 

Suddenly, her feet were swept out from under her. With a bang, her body hit the ground. Around her, many were in the same position. Both Steve and Bruce found themselves overwhelmed by the number of creatures. Along with T'Challa and other warriors.

There were thousands of them. Lydia knew they were outnumbered. This fight felt unwinnable. But it wasn't about winning, just time. They were buying time to destroy the stone.

A cry escaped her as an alien clutched onto her ankle. It surprised her but didn't hurt. Using her other foot, she kicked the creature in the face. The impact caused it to let go and stumble back. Lydia rolled to the side and launched herself back onto her feet.

That was when a beacon of light hit the ground across the field. It was incredibly bright. Lydia raised her hand, keeping herself protected as she stared. From inside the light, an ax flew out, taking down all of the aliens in the vicinity. Three figures emerged from the light as it faded. The weapon flew back into a man's hand. 

It was Thor.

"Bring me, Thanos!" Thor's voice was loud and deep. Just like she remembered. He rushed at the open barrier, charging at the incoming extraterrestrials. Following behind him appeared to be a raccoon and a tree. The now short-haired god leaped into the air and summoned clouds of lighting that then irradicated hundreds of creatures at once.

Lydia's eyes widened. Thor was here, but how? Quickly, her attention was brought back as the creatures shrieked around her. The fight was still occurring. She needed to focus. Lydia propelled the barrier forward and successfully took down more creatures, repeating this two more times. 

But it wasn't long before the ground beneath started to shake. It felt like an earthquake but wasn't. It was something outside the barrier coming toward them. Whatever it was went easily under the barrier before breaking free from under the dirt. To Lydia's horror, it was enormous rolling blades. They were easily a few hundred feet tall.

And they were heading straight for them.

"Fall back," T'Challa yelled in the earpiece. "Fall back now!" The giant row soon split off into several blades. It was terrifying. She had no idea what to do.

Around a hundred feet to the left, she noticed the red glow of Wanda's powers as she lifted an entire row of blades before launching them to the side. Knowing Wanda was on the ground worried her. She had been instructed to stay behind. It also meant Vision was alone.