56

following orders

following orders

"ATHENA? ARE YOU AWAKE?"

The goddess lifted her head from her pillow, feigning exhaustion as her father stepped into her room, his concerned gaze landing on her immediately. "Are you alright?"

She nods, shifting so her covers are pulled up beneath her jaw. "I'm alright, I think it's just that time of the month. I'm probably just gonna stay in bed today."

Zeus nods sympathetically, brushing her hair off her face. "Alright, well if you need anything you know where to find me. And don't be afraid to ask, darling,"

She smiles up at him, leaning into his touch. "I know. Thanks, Dad. Love you,"

He smiles, patting her cheek softly. "Love you, too. I'll be back in later to check on you."

Athena sinks back into her bed and her eyes flutter shut as her bedroom door shuts tightly behind her father. She takes in a few long breaths, counting them in her head, and on the fifth one she sits up, throwing her covers back quickly.

She bends over the edge of her bed, reaching beneath it for her black boots she'd stashed early this morning when she'd been getting dressed and preparing for the day. She slips them on, tucking her jeans into them, and as she stands she reaches for the houndstooth-print coat to slip on over her turtleneck.

She opens her nightstand drawer and pulls out the two daggers she'd stashed in there earlier, swinging them a few times to fully adjust her grip on them. She sheathes them in her boots, shifting slightly so she knows they won't prick her skin as she moves.

Her eyes fall to the cell phone in her nightstand drawer and her heart briefly aches as she picks it up and shoves it in her pocket. Despite it having died in the early hours of the night, she didn't want to leave it.

Standing straight, Athena stalked out of her room, shutting the door tightly behind her and peering down both sides of the hallway for her father's cronies. When she saw the coast was clear, she hurried down the hallway and into the large kitchen, slipping through the door that led to the tunnel system beneath the palace Hermes had told her about weeks ago.

Standing at the base of the old staircase, she was met with Future standing there, with Hermes and Iris on either side of them looking upset.

Stopping short, Athena clenched her jaw, looking at them. "How did you find them?"

"We saw Ares sneaking them out in the middle of the night," Hermes says, his voice stern. "What the hell are you doing, Athena?"

"I'm doing what needs to be done," Athena says, raising her brows as she looks to Future. "Zeus thinks I'm in bed, and he told me last night he has a meeting today that is going to take up his morning. We should be able to get to the place you're talking about before he even notices."