Prologue

Light grey eyes on a girl with dark brown mid-back hair is a rather odd combination. At least, that is what I overhear people whispering to each other when I walk into a room. But, then, I tend to think that the people whispering about my features aren't actually whispering about my looks. Perhaps, it's the way my eyes turn to a dark stormy shade of grey when I walk into a room after someone has gotten on my last nerve. Not that getting on my last nerve is that hard to do.

              In fact, my father told me that the sudden change in my eye color and mood was how he and my mother had agreed on my middle name. Storm.

              There was this one incident when I was five where I had gotten annoyed with this girl who kept bragging about how her aunt was a casting agent and found her a job as the next face for a commercial of the highest company in all of Colorado. She told the whole class how her aunt had said her lovely, long, light blonde hair would be perfect for advertising since people loved girls that had as light of blonde as she had.

             So, after hearing her constantly bragging for a whole week, I took matters into my own hands and placed a spider I had found hanging out in the corner of the classroom in her hair. It took a good five minutes for anyone to notice the eight-legged creature, but, once they had, it was chaos.

No one had suspected that I was the one behind the spider incident, but everyone started to avoid her in fear that she had more spiders hiding somewhere in her hair. She ended up cutting her hair extremely short for precautionary measures. The girl's aunt ended up telling her that she could no longer do the commercial since she no longer fit the look requirement of the company's advertising vision.

           When I told my dad about what I had done, he shook his head and said that I reminded him of one of his old friends from college. He also said that I needed to apologize to the girl I had tormented by putting a spider in her hair. I never did apologize for what I had done to her since some other dude put a combination of chewed-up gum with glue in her hair a few days later. Either way, apologizing to her was at the bottom of my list of things I would ever dream of doing.

            As for what my mother had thought about the whole spider in the hair thing, I wouldn't know. My parents had gotten divorced when I was three going on four, and my dad had ended up becoming my custodial parent. My mom didn't care to keep in contact with me and moved out to Kentucky to start a new life with my identical twin sister, Capri, and some other guy who had four sons from a previous marriage.

           To say I missed having my sister around would be an utter lie. Being an only child was the best time of my life since I was able to pull more pranks on each new nanny that would come walking in the door. Having both my mom and Capri around would have ruined any of my chances to count higher than five- I had managed to count up to twenty by the age of four and a half. I guess nannies really are useful for something.

           By the age of seven, I had gone through a total of forty-seven different nannies. I guess one could say that I gave the Brown children in Nanny McPhee a run for their money in the "getting rid of nannies as fast as possible" department.  Dad wasn't happy about my going through that many nannies that he decided to get his revenge.

          My dad came home one evening after work with who I assumed was nanny forty-eight. Thinking that she was a new nanny, I didn't pay much attention to her and continued watching the History Channel. The History Channel wasn't my go-to channel, but I was knocking two birds out with one stone. I had the subtitles on for my reading log that I was required to do every night and learning History that would probably come in handy someday- just not right at that moment.