Excerpts of My Body

Excerpts from my favorite poets
_________________
"Understand, that just because I do not wear my heart on my sleeve for everyone to see, does not mean that it beats any softer than yours. Do not confuse the stillness of lips with the rhythm of apathy."
- Kevin Yang (How to Love Your Introvert)

"And I get it. I know that you're tired of hearing rape poems. I am tired of hearing rape poems... the same way soldiers are tired of hearing their own guns go off."
- Brenna Twohy

One day it is as small as a firefly in the palm of a bear The next, it's the bear.
On those days I play dead until the bear leaves me alone. I call the bad days the dark days. Mom said "try lighting candles"
When I see a candle, I see the flesh of a church. The flicker of a flame Sparks of a memory younger than noon I am standing beside her open casket. It is the moment that I learn every person I ever come to know will someday die. Besides mom I'm not afraid of the dark. Perhaps that's part of the problem. Mom said "I thought the problem was that you can't get out of bed." I can't. Anxiety holds me a hostage inside of my house. Inside of my head. Mom says "where did anxiety come from?" Anxiety is the cousin visiting from out of town. Depression felt obligated to bring to the party. Mom, I am the party. Only I am a party I don't want to be at.
- Sebrina Benaim