11: where they're boyfriends

CHAPTER ELEVEN
where they're boyfriends

Lucas appeared at the bar almost at the same time Kalen did and Kalen somehow knew he wasn't there to drink.

He stood by the wall, waiting for something instead of directly going to the counter or approaching a group of people like he usually would. He let his eyes roam over the sea of people and positioned himself out of the way of others.

Kalen found himself hoping he wasn't the person Lucas was waiting to spot, but when he felt a pair of familiar brown eyes on him, he didn't feel that lucky.

Kalen and Lucas both went to the counter.

Kalen gave up on trying to ignore him and didn't even try to avoid eye contact as the customer said, "Been a long time, Kale."

Kalen didn't say anything about the nickname. Instead, he muttered, "Not long enough."

The bartender didn't know if Lucas simply didn't hear him or if he just chose to ignore it as he crossed his arms on the table surface and leaned forward, speaking, "We left on a pretty bad note last time."

Kalen furrowed his eyebrows and then felt himself nod. "Well, we're good at that, so it shouldn't surprise you too much."

Kalen wasn't looking directly at Lucas, but he still didn't miss the way he frowned at him. As if he had no idea what Kalen was talking about. The bartender chose not to dwell on it as he said, "Well, you know the procedure, Lucas. What' you want to drink?"

It didn't surprise Kalen when Lucas answered with, "I'm not here to drink tonight, Kale."

Kalen didn't hesitate. "Then get out."

"I'm here to talk to you," he quickly added, as if he was afraid Kalen was actually going to get him kicked out. He rolled his eyes as Lucas continued, "I was thinking about something I wanted to ask you."

If Kalen had to be honest, talking with Lucas and answering his unwanted questions weren't something he was dying to do — actually, he would rather work for the rest of his life, than do so. He could already hear the unnecessary, personal questions about things Kalen didn't think Lucas had the right to know anymore and he felt annoyed.

Kalen just hoped Lucas would go before Hwan would come.

So, Kalen didn't hesitate to say, "I'm at work."

Lucas snorted. "Never had a problem talking to me at work when we were together—"

"But we're not." Kalen finally looked at Lucas. He couldn't read him. "We're not together."

Lucas paused. As if it was news to him. He asked, "Is that why you don't like me?"

Kalen instantly felt his eyebrows pull together at the question. "What are you talking about?" He paused. "Did you already drink or something? Are you high?"

Lucas rolled his eyes. "That's what I wanted to ask you about. Why you... don't like me." He paused. "I've noticed you being very hostile with me, Kale—"

"Have I now?"

"—And I wanted to ask why."

Kalen knew Lucas was sober because he couldn't smell anything on him — not even smoke from his thousands of cigarettes. Still, Kalen frowned again, staring at him for a bit before shaking his head. This had to be a joke. "Listen, Lucas, I don't have time for this—"