Piercing Cries

Holden's point of view:

It's been roughly 3 years since Apollyon fell.  Everyone blamed Ashfeld, despite us being treated the worst under her rule.  Eventually, the Vikings and the Samurai joined forces and attacked one of our port cities, Eitrivanen.  We were now under siege.  I don't know how long we'll last without reinforcements...

--------------------------------------------------

Lukas tapped his fingers on the table top as he and his uncle, Vortiger, were looking at a map as the majority of the Black Priors stood around sharpening their weapons and the like.

"So, nephew, their forces are here, Valkenheim attacking from the ports and the Dawn Empire from the lower city in the south.  When they take the city, they'll likely attempt to take Mount Ignis and inevitably find our stronghold.  We need to..." Vortiger said as Lukas drank from his cup, shaking his head.

"Meet them head on.  March on Eitrivanen.  Block them there and slaughter them all," Lukas said.

"The city is not our concern.  This war is not our war and not our problem," Vortiger said as he faced Lukas, who slammed his fist on the table.

"It is our war!  We are as much of the problem as Apollyon was," Lukas said as he pointed at the rust and blood coated suit of armor of the dead warlord.

Vortiger sighed as he recalled all he did in her service.  To seek out the wolves and slaughter the weak.  "Ay.  You are right.  We do owe a debt to Ashfeld.  Brothers and sisters, ready yourselves.  We march this day to Eitrivanen.  We shall set flesh and steel asunder.  We shall teach them the true meaning fear.  Let their blood flow with the rain of the storm as we cut them down without respite and without mercy," Vortiger shouted as cheering was heard as everyone ran off to make ready.  Lukas walked off to get his new armor on as Alfrin followed him.

"Lukas, what are we doing?" She asked as he slid a chainmail hauberk over his clothes and began strapping his armor plates on.

"We're going to have a bit of a bloodbath at Eitrivanen.  You are more than welcome, but you will have to kill Vikings.  Possibly even some we worked with when we went to the Imperial city.  Are you okay with that?"  Lukas said as he slid a wolf pelt around his neck and hung his ragged cloak over his shoulders.

"Yes.  I haven't lived with them in years.  I have no ties.  Heh, I don't even like using their weapons anymore.  Get me a bastard sword and a pole-axe and I'll be good," Alfrin said as she strapped some plate armor over her scale mail that she wore.

"Good.  Vortiger will likely deal with the assualt leaders personally.  Let him.  He can be a bit frenzied when he gets his blood boiling.  You'll join me and my captains.  We're bringing the attack from the Samurai's rear.  Vortiger is leading an elite force from entering the city from a secret passage.  We've got calvary, so we ride and trample.  When we reach the city, we'll kill our way to the harbor then dismount.  We leave in about an hour.  Be ready," Lukas said as Black Priors saw what looked like the armor of a higher ranking Black Prior, but with the design more influenced by wolves than hawks and falcons.

Several hours later, Holden Cross watched as the enemy flooded into harbor and lower city of Eitrivanen.  As he and his men engaged them, a massive Viking knocked him to to ground and raised their axe.  A hooded warrior bashed him aside and rammed their shield through their skull.  Holden looked up and saw Vortiger holding his hand out.  "Cross, get up.  We still have a battle to win," the Black Prior said as he pulled Holden to his feet and ran off into the mob.  Holden saw dozens of Black Priors hacking their way through the enemy ranks.  In the distance, he heard war horns.

The Samurai rushed to close the gate of the lower city, but were pushed open as Lukas rode in and pointed his sword onward.  "To the harbor," he shouted as his horsemen rode through the city, cutting down their enemies as they went.  Shortly, they cornered the leader of the assualt force and disarmed them and their officers.  Lukas dismounted and walked up to them, sword drawn.  The commander looked up at him as Lukas held the tip at his enemy's throat.  "I understand you're in charge.  I'd advise you order your men to surrender," Lukas said as he looked over his captives.

"They'd rather die with honor before surrendering to the likes of you," the commander said.

Lukas nodded and turned to leave, then swung his sword in a single slash, decapitating the commander.  "Then let them all die.  Kill the officers and warriors.  When the battle is over, make certain that even their wounded and dying are killed," Lukas said as an officer jumped at Lukas, but was stopped by Alfrin and another Black Prior

"You monster.  They're dying men.  Have pity," the officer said as Lukas stood face-to-face with him.

"What of the men we've seen?  They were killed mercilessly.  This is war.  If you can't accept the losses, then be ready for the strong to overcome you," Lukas said as he waved his hand and walked off.

Alfrin followed behind him as they got back on their horses.  "Why did that sound like Apollyon?" She asked.

"She was right to a degree.  I don't start the conflict.  I will avoid it if possible.  But I'm sure that I beat the enemy into submission and be sure that they know who they serve.  Enough of this for now.  We need to regroup with Vortiger," Lukas said as the company left the bodies in a pile of mangled gore.

After the battle, Vortiger walked up and dropped the body of the Viking commander down as he sat on a barrel.  "A good fight.  I need to do this more often.  Lukas is securing the city and we'll tie the bodies to the walls.  Meanwhile, Holden I'd like you to tell the Lord Warden that as payment for aiding you, the Black Priors will take and defend Eitrivanen as our new home.  It's time we do more to help Ashfeld as settlement for our misguided deeds under Apollyon.  Are we in agreement?"  Vortiger asked as he held out a bare hand to Holden.

Holden took his hand and shook it.  "The city was given to me to do as I saw fit.  Heh, I'm getting too old for war.  Perhaps I'll leave the lawbringers and try mercenary work.  Keep this place safe, will you?"  Holden said as Vortiger nodded.

Holden walked off and went to a secluded area of the city and stripped his lawbringer armor off and took a few bits and pieces of scattered Viking scale mail and he took the shield chain from his old armor.  Sighing with nostalgia, he set his pole-axe aside and took up a discarded polearm called a bardiche.  As he turned to leave, Lukas was leaning against a wall, holding a fur mantle.

"So, you're leaving the lawbringers.  Didn't see that happening anytime soon,"  Lukas said as he tossed the cloak to Holden.

"Yeah.  I hated admitting it.  I used to be able to fight several grown men at a time half my age.  Then one Viking floors me.  I need easier work.  At least as a mercenary I can choose my fight.  Well, I'm off.  'Till our paths cross again," Holden said as they saluted each other and Lukas watched the old warrior leave. A true shame, but he earned his rest.

As Lukas unpacked his bags and got out of his armor, Vortiger entered his room.  I've recieved a message from the Lord Warden.  He has a Wu Lin emissary that asked for the two of us.  Personally," Vortiger said with a raised eyebrow.

"The Wu Lin?  I thought they were raiders, not even trying to get peace between Heathmoor and them," Lukas responded.

"A problem has shown up that the Emperor wants dealt with.  He knows of our old allegiance to Apollyon, so he asked for us as we are the more reasonable people to ask for help.  We leave at dawn with a small company,"  Vortiger said before leaving.