Chapter Two - Secrets and Memories

With many thoughts still clouding her mind and demanding attention, Malika found it difficult to concentrate

With many thoughts still clouding her mind and demanding attention, Malika found it difficult to concentrate. Sitting in her car, still needing to drive to the precinct to see Percival and Olivia, had her hesitating.

The events of the morning had so far proven catastrophic, and the sun had barely risen.

She realized her jaw was tight, clenched as her teeth ground against each other. Her heart was racing, and there was a light sweat on her brow. Panic clawed and crawled higher through her chest and then her throat. Her breathing became shallow and erratic as she struggled against her emotions.

"Shit," the muttering of words pulled her from the daze she had been in as her phone began vibrating in the center console next to her.

Pressing the ignition button on her car, she listened as it roared to life before pressing another button on the steering wheel. It was Alexander.

The call connected seamlessly. "Yes, Alex?" Malika rushed to speak first. Not bothering with any niceties. "What can I do for you this morning?"

There was a huff on the other end before his answer came. "You can hurry and get your ass down to Waterfront Park Trail and tell me why your mother gave me the impression that your life was in danger."

A bitter laugh escaped Malika's lips as she drank in every velvety word he spoke. It had been too long since she had seen or heard from Alexander. "Of course she would do that." Everyone close to her family knew how cunning and manipulative Elenora could be when she wanted something done. "I'll be there soon. Where are you?"

"You mean to tell me your mother lied, the Queen of the Fae actually lied?" He sounded like he wanted to be angry, but Malika heard the amusement in her voice.

"She doesn't understand why you and I are no longer friends." Clamping her mouth shut, Malika immediately regretted her choice of words as she mentally slapped herself.

"Well," he sighed, "tell her that makes two of us." As silence grew between them, there seemed to be hope or longing in his words.

"Where are you?" She brushed aside the brewing conversation, not quite ready to confront the truth and admit her lies.

His voice sounded again, impatient and annoyed, no doubt at still receiving no proper answer. "I'm at the cordon, they won't let me pass. Seems like the humans got here before Perci and Oli."

"Did you call them?" Malika's question lingered in the air and received a chuckle in response.

"Once they untangle themselves from each and hopefully don some clothes. They shouldn't be too far away."

Alexander's response left Malika gaping. "As much as I want to comment on that situation, I probably shouldn't." Everyone had their secrets, Malika knew that better than anyone else.

"Are you driving yet?" That one sentence alerted Malika to the fact that she was still parked.

A small grin crept lazily across her lips. "It would be irresponsible of me to talk and drive, but now that you've brought that to my attention, I'll be on my way now. Bye." She didn't wait for a response before hanging up and backing out of the parking lot.