Chapter 1: Pink Roses

Hailey's POV

As I strolled through the quiet park, I couldn't help admiring the blooming pink roses, I've always been fond of flowers, especially roses, they hold so many layers but if you break all the layers, the flower is completely vulnerable, just like us humans.

My family and I just moved to Alabama and I'm pretty sure I am the only one who is happy about their choice. Let's just say, my life back in California wasn't the best, my mom cheated on my dad and he was in a pretty bad state for months, but he met Carol Wickham while working in 'Cali Coffees' about 2 years ago. Since then, my life has gone uphill fast, Carol and my dad got married, so I now have a stepbrother called Zander, and a stepsister called Bethany. Zander was my only friend back in California, I really struggled with the social side of school, so he was a massive help. He isn't happy about leaving though, he had to end things with his boyfriend, Marcus and is in a horrible mood.

Carol sent me to find some new friends in my age group, but I got distracted by the park. Plus, I'll have plenty of opportunities in school on Monday. I love Carol, but she really needs to stop worrying about my social life, I have it under complete control. Alright, she does have a good reason for worrying, I'm 16 and have not really had a single friend other than Zander, but I'm perfectly fine with that! I don't need a load of friends when I have an amazing stepbrother!

I'll admit it, some days I wish I was 6 years old again and playing in the sand at the beach with my REAL mom and dad. My mom would give me some money to buy ice cream and I would feel so grown up, we all seemed so happy, I never thought things would go so... wrong.

I think you have heard enough about my crappy childhood, it's time to go back to the present. I was staring at the roses, imagining I was a princess, waltzing through a flower meadow, until someone rudely interrupted my thoughts.

"Excuse me, but may I ask why you're gazing at a rose bush like its love at first sight?" I turned around to see a peach-haired boy grinning at me. I couldn't deny he was good-looking, but there was something about him that already annoyed me. Maybe it was the stupid grin plastered on his face, I wanted to slap it right off of him.

"Is it really any of your business?" I snapped, beginning to walk away from him. Yet I could hear him trailing behind me.

"Miss, may I get your name?" He called, something about the way he said miss made me stop in my tracks. Maybe he wasn't the typical teenage play-boy I assumed he was.

"Hailey Austin, why do you ask?" I replied, raising my eyebrows at him.

"Because, you looked lonely, just wanted to cheer you up." He smirked, I sighed and continued walking. Who does this boy think he is? Calling me lonely! Alright, maybe I was a little lonely but that doesn't mean I wanted him to but in and ruin my daydreams.

"I'm Jake Sterling, I assume you are new?" The boy asked again, catching up with me.

"Yeah, I'm new." I muttered, grabbing one last look at the roses, before exiting the park.

"Well, then I'll see you tomorrow at school Austin." He winked, taking my hand and giving it a kiss.

"See you, Sterling." I replied, rolling my eyes and walking back to the house.

I think I was right about this new chapter. It will be one to remember for sure.

<> ~~~ <>