Chapter 2: Addiction

Hailey's POV

Portions of this chapter involve angst; I will give you warnings at the worst parts. Also, forgot to mention Zander is older than Hailey in this, only by like a few months. Enjoy!

When I was a little girl and my dad found out my mom had been cheating, I had absolutely no clue what that meant. For years after she left, I thought my dad did something to make her go and our relationship took a turn for the worst, everyday after school I had to walk home because my dad was too lazy to pick me up, when I finally did get home, he ordered pizza and didn't speak to me the rest of the night, and I was fine with that. I hated him so much because I assumed he tore apart our once happy family.

Most people love weekends because it gives them the chance to hang out with friends or go shopping, but I despised them. Having to spend two whole days with my dad seemed like the worst outcome, not to mention my dad's alcohol addiction.

(Angst warning)

"DAD! Drinking won't make your problems go away; it will only make everyone's lives miserable!" I yelled, picking up a handful of empty beer cans and throwing them in the recycling bin. My dad picked up the nearest can, opening it a taking a large sip.

"Why don't you go do something useful, I'm the father here, I decide what everyone does." He muttered, tossing the now empty can on the wooden floor.

"You clearly aren't a good father. YOU are the reason mom left. God, why couldn't I have just stayed with her?! Do you have to destroy everything you care about?" I replied, taking a few small steps back from the sofa my dad was sitting on.

"Your 'mom' cheated on me with multiple guys. I had nothing to do with it, just go to your room. I don't feel like dealing with your bullcrap." He exclaimed, putting his head in his hands. I ran up the stairs and into my small bedroom, slamming the door hard. I started sobbing into my pillow.

Why did I have to be born into this family? What did I do to deserve such a horrible life?

I looked over at the picture frame on my bedside table. It was of my mom and I, we were at the beach and she was wearing a mustard yellow dress, with roses printed all over it. I always admired her sense of style, she told me how she dreamed of being a fashion designer one day.

(Angst warning end)

She had acted so innocent. Like she wasn't cheating on my dad the whole entire time. I wanted to be just like her for the majority of my childhood years, she was selfish, manipulitive and overall a terrible person. I'm glad she left, we have a happy family now and I can forget about my traumatic childhood and focus on my future. 

<> ~~~ <>

As Zander and I were walking to school, I couldn't help thinking of that boy I met at the park. Jake Sterling. He seemed different from every other boy I've met, hopefully I'll see him today, it will be nice to see a semi-familiar face.

"Hailey, can you please try and make some new friends today?" Zander sighed. I figured he would get sick of me always following him around everywhere we go.

"Fine. Wow... this school is massive." I exclaimed, staring at the large brick building. Around the campus, there were groups of teenagers talking happily to one another. In the distance I saw the peach-haired boy from the park. He must of seen me to because he left his group of friends and came running over to us.

"Hello Hailey." He greeted.

"Hi Sterling." I replied.

"Oh, this is the boy you met at the park. I'm Zander, Hailey's older stepbrother." He said, shaking Jake's hand. I rolled my eyes at the two, Zander has been known to be over-protective of me, when it comes to boys our age.

"Nice to meet you..." Jake chuckled nervously. I could tell that Zander scared him, and I'll admit, it was pretty funny seeing someone who looked so tough be scared of my stepbrother.

"You two can go on, I promised to meet someone." Zander muttered, blushing. I knew who he was meeting. He figured out his childhood best friend goes here, Luke Peterson. Luke moved here from California a few years ago and when he did, Zander was absolutely shattered. Zander quickly walked in another direction while Jake and I were walking towards the school.

"Where did you move here from?" Jake asked.

"California." I sighed, thinking about all of the long, sleepless nights.

"I've always wanted to go to California! What was it like?" 

"Horrible." I said coldly.

"How so?"

"Before my dad met Zander's mom...let's just say my life was tough." I muttered, staring at the floor.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be, I don't need pity." 

"Hi Jake!" I looked over to see a girl with flowing white hair and periwinkle blue eyes smiling at Jake.

"Hi Daisy." He replied, kissing the girls cheek.

"Who's this?" She asked, pointing at me.

"This is Hailey, I met her yesterday at the park." 

"Well can you go? I need to talk to my boyfriend." She smiled. Who does this girl think she is? Telling me to leave like I'm her little puppet? But, it didn't seem worth it to fight with her.

"Happily." I sighed, walking ahead of the couple. 

I don't think Daisy is done with me.

She is prepared to be enemies.

and so am I