12

I tensed up as I heard a knock on the door.

"Emmy?" Erin's voice called out. I lifted the sheet off of me and sat up. His face was one of concern.

"Hey what happened? I heard you yell?" he came and sat down next to me. Wrapping an arm around my shoulders. He brought his other hand up to wipe away my tears.

"I just...when...when are you going to trade me for the children? I know that was the plan," I say looking up at Erin.

He frowned and cupped my cheek, "Plans have changed, we aren't going that anymore."

I pulled away from him shocked, "What? No you have to! Clara needs Risa!"

"And we also need you Emmy," Erin said smiling, "Don't worry we will get Risa and all the other children back. Please stop crying, Lily would kill me."

He held his arms out to me and I crawled into his lap. He held my head as I cried into his shoulder.

"You are such a cry baby Emmy," Erin's chest vibrated as he chuckled. He had told me this often. Over the past two days my relationship with Lily and Erin grew tremendously. At first I was a bit bothered by sleeping so closely with them, they were....a very touchy couple. But Erin had warmed up to me quickly which made me happy. He even started using my nickname. I assumed it was Lily's doing. I didn't feel the same way I did for him as I did for Lily, my bond with her was something beyond me. But as her mate, I trusted him. He let out a sigh as he started to pet the top of my head.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course," I said, pulling away slightly.

"Your powers, Emmy. How do they work?"

I look up into his eyes and see the curiosity.

"It feels as natural as breathing," I whisper, "I have always been able to use the power even when I was little. It was really overwhelming at first. The way people broadcast their emotions or thoughts, I would get swept up in. Devoured. I usually don't even need to pry because people don't protect their minds. It is sometimes almost like a movie to me, or sometimes it's as strong as if their thoughts are my own. My mom had the same power I did. So she taught me how to control it, how to block people out."

"Your mom had the same power?"

I looked up at him as a wide smile spanned over my face. I couldn't help but feel happiness bloom in my chest as I recalled my mother. "Yes! She was a beautiful strong woman. She had my eyes too, she said it was a power passed down through women in our family. She always told me that even though I had this power. There wasn't much use for it. Minds can be so easily bruised, and just as easy to break." I paused as I looked down at my hands. That was right, my mom said it was cruel to get into other people's heads. It was an unfair advantage, peeking into the darkest parts of people's heads. Sometimes seeing their own mind more clearly than they could. It was something so easy for us, but because of that we had to be stronger. We had to put the right leg forward, embracing people with care and empathy.

"She would be so disappointed in me now," I whispered.

"Do you know what packs your parents came from? Why were they rogues? I find it strange that a gifted wolf would be cast out," Erin said as he held my head close to his chest.

"No, they never shared that with me. My mom talked about her pack. Showed me memories. She was always so happy and proud. But they said living in the city was what was best for our family."

"Hum maybe we can track your parents down in the records and-"

We both tensed up as the door slammed open and Corbin stood nearly blocking out the whole door way. His hair looked a bit wild as if he had been running. His eyes met mine for a moment before he looked up to Erin. I saw his eyes darken and his canines extended.