thirteen - may the fourth

"you're still coming over, right?" tom asked through the phone as he walked through his shared flat in london. you were in the bathroom of your own apartment, doing your hair when tom had facetimed you, confirming if you were still joining him, harry, and harrison for your monthly movie night.

glancing down at your phone that was propped up on the counter in your ensuite bathroom, you see tom sitting on his bed in a grey hoodie, one arm resting behind his head as he talked to you.

tom and you had been best friends since you were both brought into the world. with both your mom and high school best friends, it was inevitable for tom and you not to grow close over the years. even though tom and you strictly agreed to be best friends and only that, it didn't stop others from assuming that you were dating in your teen years, into your early twenties.

by now, you were used to coming across friends, who still, even after knowing you, would ask if you were dating. you always turned down the idea and suggestion of it and changing the subject when someone brought it up.

"yep," you said with a pop of your lips as you applied the last coat of mascara on your eyelashes. "i just gotta pick up some drinks on my way, what did you want?"

"same as usual, please." he said. you heard shuffling from the other line of the call, but continue to finish your makeup. "thanks, y/n/n." he thanked, you hummed and nodded your head, grabbing your phone and carrying it with you back into your bedroom. you set it down on your dresser so that tom had a great view of your ceiling. you walk over to your closet and pull out a random hoodie that coincidentally was one of tom's that had ended up amongst your other clothes in your closet. slipping it on, you then go over to your pants drawer and pick out a pair of grey sweatpants. looking over at your phone that was still on your dresser, you reach over to lift it to your face to see if tom was still there.

the screen showed a blurred picture with the word "paused" on it, but quickly enough tom's face popped up in front of you, a smirk wiped over his face. it scared you a tiny bit, how the timing seemed to work out perfectly, but you give tom an unamused look. you put your phone back down to face the ceiling and you hear tom jokingly exasperate a breath.

he sighs dramatically, "not even gonna give me a little sneak peek?" he teased through the phone to which you scoff and roll your eyes.

"you wish, perv." you tease back. it was a reoccurring thing between tom and you, small suggestive comments back and forth. you knew it meant nothing and that knowing was reciprocated by tom. "alright, anyway- i'll be over in the next half an hour. don't do anything stupid in the meantime, dork. you said through a sigh.

"okay, see you soon. love you." tom replied as you picked up your phone and walked out of your bedroom, turning off the lights and walking downstairs to your living room and entrance.

"yeah, yeah, love you too." you rolled your eyes at his affection.

just like you said, thirty minutes later you found yourself walking into tom's shared house with his brother and best friends, slipping your shoes off and walking to the kitchen to put the drinks you had bought in the fridge to stay cool.

when you arrived, tom was getting snacks together for the movie night; popcorn with chocolate m&m's mixed throughout, some sweetish berries- which were your favourite candies, and some chips. it was your usual routine, depending on who was hosting. the host would always make snacks, and the one driving over would get drinks.

plopping down on the couch in the movie room of his house, you place the bowl of popcorn and drinks down in front of you on the coffee table, while tom's already seated on the couch, setting up the movie with the remote. you sit back against the back of the couch and snuggle into tom's side, his arm instinctively wrapping around your shoulder.

"so do we want to watch star wars? or maybe another one." tom suggests, looking at you.

you purse your lips and furrow your eyebrow to decide on which movie you wanted to watch, "hmm, well they're both completely different genres of movies, and last time we did watch spencer confidential," you trailed on, reasoning, "so maybe a star wars this time, then next time the other?" you suggest, to which tom nods, opening up the disney plus app on his tv, and then choosing the star wars section.

after a good two minutes of going through all of the options in the movie section, you settle on the second-star wars movie, empire strikes back, having been a while since you both had last seen it, and considering it was star wars day.

tom begins the movie, and you reach forward to grab the bowl of popcorn in front of you, lifting it above your head while tom lays a throw blanket over both of your laps as the introduction and well-known theme song begins to play through the speakers.

after about an hour into the movie, where han, leia, chewbacca, and c-3po escape from inside the space monster's stomach, your head leaned on tom's shoulder, while tom traced random patterns on your arm. interrupting the movie, that you two had laughed about because of how bad, but good the graphics were for the movie, tom's best friend arrives at home after a game night with his own friends. he walks into the movie room, grabbing and pulling your attention away from the movie and towards him. tom pauses the movie, which gives you a chance to exchange your empty drink with the full one on the table.

"havin' your monthly movie date, huh? love birds." harrison teases.

"oh, shut it, you div." tom calls back, making harrison snicker to himself. "you're just jealous you don't have an amazing best friend like, y/n who's willing to watch star wars with you."

harrison laughed, shaking his head while you took a long sip from your drink, "seriously haz, you've known us for how long?"

"whatever, whatever. just go back to your movie night, i'll be up in my room if you need me," he responded, backing up and out of the room. you lean back into tom's side as he plays the movie from where it left off. you sigh in content, happy with the state you were in with your life, with your amazing friends. lucky enough to have a best friend who was willing to watch movies with you every month.