Chapter 33

5/8/21

I laid down on the bed impatiently. It had been hours since Cristiano had gone to his meeting with the Consigliere's. I wasn't worried, I just wanted him to be home. It was late, and already dark outside. Beatrice had tried to get me to leave the bedroom, and eat something, but I didn't feel like it.

I hated myself for letting him get in my head this way. I couldn't stop thinking about him. A part of me wanted him to feel the same way about me, but I knew that probably wasn't the case. He was a Don, he had more important things to worry about than me.

Suddenly the door opens, and Cristiano walks in. He has that same angry look on his face. What ever happened at the meeting clearly pissed him off. I stayed quiet and just laid there, as he walked into the closet. After a few minutes he comes out of the closet in just his underwear, and goes into the bathroom, closing the door behind him. I hear the shower turn on, and let out a sigh. I couldn't tell if he was in a bad mood, or if he was just tired.

I hear the water stop running, and not long after Cristiano comes out in just a towel. I try not to stare, but it's hard. He was irresistibly attractive, and it was obvious I was lusting after him. Although it was terrifying that he had that kind of power over me. He was already 4 years older than me, and knew so much more about the world than I did. Sometimes I felt powerless, which is how the Mafia probably wanted me to feel.

Cristiano walks over to a drawer and takes out his cigarettes. He puts one in his mouth and lights it, breathing out a cloud of smoke. By now I had gotten used to the smell, but I still wished he wouldn't smoke. He continues smoking for a while, then looks at me.

"I need to know that I can trust you." He says, taking his cigarette out of his mouth. I sit up, and sit myself on the edge of the bed, sensing we were about to have a serious conversation.

"You can." I say, almost worried. I had no idea why he would say something like that. It made me nervous. He moves so he's standing in front of me. I always felt so small when he stood like that. He had to at least be 5 inches taller than me.

"What I'm about to tell you can be repeated to anyone else, I don't care who they are. Do you understand?" Cristiano says in a stern tone. I quickly nod my head.

"Tell me you understand Giada." He says demandingly.

"I-I understand." I respond almost immediately. We stare at each other for a couple seconds, then he finally speaks again.

"There is an opportunity for us to take down the Genovese clan, maybe even permanently."

"What's the opportunity?" I ask, with a tinge of worry in my voice.

"One of our spies has intel that the head of the Genovese is going to try and move his mistress and his bastard son overseas so he can hide them. The Consigliere's and I have developed a plan to make sure that doesn't happen." Cristiano says, almost as if he's happy.

"How?" At this point I was terrified, and I wasn't even hiding it.

He hesitates, then proceeds to answer.

"We'll either have to take them hostage, and demand that the head disable his organization. Or we'll have to...get rid of them."

"Get rid of them?" I ask. Deep down I knew what he meant. I just didn't want to believe those words were actually coming out of his mouth.

"Do I really have to spell it out for you?" He says with a frustrated tone. I just stare at him, with horror in my eyes. The heads son couldn't be more than 2 years old. I didn't want to believe Cristiano was capable of killing an innocent child.

"Y-you aren't...that little boy...h-he's..." I stuttered. The words were caught in my throat, as I held back tears.

I shouldn't be upset about this. I should be happy that we have an advantage over the Genovese, and we are using it. But I wasn't. There was nothing but immense horror filling my mind.

"Spit it out, Gia." He snaps at me, causing me to flinch.

"There has to be another way to defeat Vincenzo." I cry. Cristiano grabs my arm and pulls me close, so my face is just centimeters away from his.

"Do not ever say that name again." He says threateningly.

"I'm begging you not to do this. That boy is innocent." I say pleadingly. We stare at each other for a moment, his eyes were full of anger.

"I don't have to listen to a word you say." He says, pushing me back on the bed. I told myself that he wouldn't hurt me, but deep down I knew I wasn't sure. He was unpredictable. He could do whatever he wanted to me, and there was nothing I could do. Luckily, he turns around, and walks back into the closet.

After a few minutes he comes out, fully dressed in a suit. I knew what that meant. The Bordello. Sometimes I wondered if he went there because he actually liked it, or because he just wanted to spite me. Either way, it was a wound to my ego.

He walks over to the door, but stops, and turns around just before he walks out.

"If I ever hear you say Vincenzo's name again, I will beat the living shit out of you." He snapped at me, then walked out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him.

At this point I was used to it. If he hit me, I don't even think I would care. What was really bothering me was the fact that he was with another woman right now. Touching her the same way he touched me, it made me sick to my stomach. I wanted him to feel the same misery I felt, but how could I?

I belong to him, but he doesn't belong to me.