Prologue

I adopted this plot bunny a year or so ago. It really intrigued me. I posted a poll in my group asking which story I should work on next and this was the winner. It's definitely a WIP. I've only got a rough outline figured out and I'm going back to my roots with this ... writing with a vague plan. I hope that I can do this justice.

Thank you to Clo, who created both of the banners for this story. Also, thank you to the folks in the Twi-Fic Plot Bunny Farm for posting abandoned bunnies and giving me the opportunity to write this.

Now, this story does not belong to me. I just like to play with the characters that Stephenie Meyer created.

Jacob abandoned Bella, leaving her and their son destitute. Years later, the book she wrote about their struggles became a bestseller. Edward, a film producer and former child actor, wanted to option Bella's book and turn it into a blockbuster. Falling in love wasn't part of the plan ...

What will they do when Jacob comes back?

Blockbuster

Prologue: Eight Years Ago

Bella

If you'd asked me how I pictured my future, this would not be it. I've come so far, but I was still ... so ...

I don't know.

I had dreams. I had wishes. I had a future. I was happy. Then, my life imploded.

"Bella, this isn't working," Jake said to me coldly. He stared at me and glowered at the little boy, our three-year-old Seth, who was my world. He was born when I was eighteen and nowhere ready to be a mother. "You need to leave and take that with you."

"Our son is not a 'that'," I snapped. "Jake, I don't have anywhere to go. Give me a few months to get back on my feet, separate from you and then we'll go."

"No," he sneered. "This hasn't been working for year. It's time to cut our losses and you need to be out by the end of the day."

"I have to work, Jacob," I said. "Can you be any more of an asshole?"

"I'm giving you a day," he smirked. "I could have just thrown out your shit yesterday while you were working and while I was taking care of that boy."

"That boy is your son," I hissed.

"Is he, though?' Jacob asked. "He looks a lot like Mike Newton. You're such a slut, Bella."

"I can't believe this," I whispered. "I can't believe I ever loved you."

Jacob knew I'd only ever been with him. Seth, our son, was conceived the first time we'd had sex and the condom had broken. Seth was the light of my life, where Jacob was the looming dark shadow.

"You better be gone by the time I come back from work. If you're not, I'll have you arrested for trespassing. You'd lose custody of Seth and he'd be raised by a proper family," Jacob muttered. "Not by slut like you." He picked up his keys, leaving the dingy apartment we'd shared.

It wasn't even an apartment. It was a shack on his father's property. It had a small kitchenette, a small living space and two tiny bedrooms. It barely had indoor plumbing. There was shower stall and a composting toilet. It was my responsibility to clean it every week.

Well, we didn't share it anymore.

I was just a piece of shit in Jacob's eyes. I was not the 'love of his life' as he proclaimed that night we'd conceived Seth. I was not the mother of his son.

I was a burden.

Not anymore ... I wasn't his doormat.

I'd have to find a new apartment, pack up all my stuff and all of Seth's belongings. With a sigh, I picked up my decrepit cell phone and called my manager at Thriftway. I told him that I had to take a sick day. Clearly, he wasn't happy, but he gave me the time.