Part 9

Lee double checked his hair in the rear view mirror, letting out a long deep breath trying to calm his nerves. Why was he so nervous? It was only you. Beautiful and sweet you. You, who was kind and caring, and nothing like he was.

He reached over and grabbed the flowers from the passenger seat before he got out of his car. As he walked up to the house, Lee raised his head towards the darkening sky and the storm that was brewing. He should have brought an umbrella with him. He'd hate for you to get drenched. Did he even own an umbrella? The station did, he knew that. He just usually used a newspaper or his jacket if it rained.

He quickly wiped his sweaty palm down his dress pants as he approached the door. "Pull yourself together, man," He muttered to himself before he knocked on the front door and let out a deep breath.

"Evenin', Sheriff," Your grandpa greeted Lee once he'd open the door.

"Evenin', George,"

"Y/N, won't be long. She's upstairs doin' somethin' or other with her hair." He rolled his eyes as he let Lee in.

Lee let out a soft chuckle, "That's okay, George. I actually wanted to talk to ya'."

George nodded, "Go on."

"Your, problem, with Mrs Riley and Bobby-Ray... I've dealt with it. You won't be getting no more trouble from them, George."

George frowned at Lee, "... There's no need for you to be dealin' with anythin', Sheriff. It ain't ya' business to be gettin' tangled up with that bitch." He sighed as he sat down in his armchair.

Lee huffed, "George, I did it for, Y/N, not you. Y'know I care about her. And I ain't having no one harm her no more." He growled.

Your grandpa nodded with a heavy sigh and pushed himself up. "Okay, but I ain't bein' in debt to ya'." He grumbled.

Lee rolled his eyes as George walked over to the fireplace. "Y'ain't goin' to be in debt to me, George." Lee walked over to him and stopped him from getting the money from his hiding place. "Ya' gonna keep that safe for me, ya' hear?"

Before your grandpa could answer, the stairs creaked along with the sound of your heels echoing as you made your way down.

Lee quickly stepped to the side, away from your grandpa and cleared his throat, "Hey, Su-" His words died in his mouth as he looked up at you. His mouth hung open, taking a small step closer.

You smiled shyly and looked down to what you were wearing. "Do I look okay?" You turned on the spot until you were back facing your grandpa and Lee. "I was worried I wouldn't look good enough."

Lee stared at you in silence, making you feel a little self conscious

Lee stared at you in silence, making you feel a little self conscious. He didn't mean to, it was just, you looked even more stunning than you already were.

Your grandpa waited for him to say something before he rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Ya' look beautiful, honey. Don't she, Sheriff?"  When Lee didn't answer, your grandpa nudge him with his elbow. "Ya' catchin' flies, Sheriff."