Chapter 16 - Meeting up with Joe

Ah, the weekend, finally the perfect time to stop and smell the roses. Except you're slightly worried about getting stung by a bee, which is a completely rational fear. But genuinely, you decide to head out for the day while the weather's nice and just get some fresh air. You could finally go on your own tour around the city, and you wouldn't have the weight of school and Abraham Lincoln bogging you down.

5 Homecoming proposals, you were reminded, and you still didn't even know if you'd be going. You didn't even know what you would wear, and it was a week from now. It seemed you'd have to start making some hard decisions soon. But for now, maybe you can just relax for the weekend.

You're strolling around the moderately busy streets when a hand grabs your arm. You gasp and get ready to start your stranger danger bird call, but you're even more shocked when you see who it is. "Joseph Biden?"

He gives you a panicked look. "Y/n, I really need your help."

"My help? You need me to help you?"

"Yes, it's really important."

Your eyebrows shoot up. It surprised you that someone as popular as he was would want anything more to do with you. But maybe this was a trick. Just be wary. "And what is it exactly, Mr. Biden, that you want from me?"

"I need you to pretend to be my date."

Your jaw drops, and you're pretty sure it hits the pavement. "Y-you what? Did I hear that correctly?"

"Y/n, I don't have much time, but yes, I need you to pretend to be my date!"

Your eyes widen, and you're certain you're stepping into the most harrowing situation of your life. "Uh..." You notice his pleading eyes and sigh. "Okay, Joseph--"

"Just Joe, please. They mind find it suspicious if you call me Joseph."

"Oh, okay. But who--"

"I'm sorry, but we don't have much time. Please, just come with me."

You let out a breath and nod. To your shock, he slips his hands in yours and leads you into an ice cream store. You're panicking inside your head when you realize you've never been anyone's date before, and you had no idea how to roleplay that. Just be casual, right? Like the two of you had known each other for ages. Except that you didn't!

You'd just have to follow suit. Joe pulls on a smile and saunters towards a table in a corner, and you follow along. A waxy-looking man gives you both a broad grin as he reaches his hands out and the two of you shake them.

"Well, Joseph, it's wonderful to see you again. And who is this?" the man asked.

"This is y/n, my date," Joe assures.

"Oh, how lovely, I'm Mitt. I've been waiting to meet you for so long, and when I talked to Joseph, I was like 'now, if you don't show me this person you've been gushing about for so long, I might just think you're lying!' But I'm ecstatic that you're real."

"I'm glad that I'm real, too," you say.

The air pauses, and you think you said something wrong, but then Mitt gives a hearty laugh. Joe laughs as well, but it's more forced.

"He never told me how hilarious you are. And that's very much his fault." Mitt gestures at the chairs. "Well, without further ado, let's have a seat." 

You sit down across from Mitt, and Joe lets go of your hand, a cold feeling falling over it. Mitt clasps his hands together. "So, this internship, Joe's been begging me about it for days."

"Oh, he's told me all about it," you lie.

"Really? Did he tell you where he's planning to go?"

"No, not really," Joe swoops in. "It's still pending, you know. Not all my applications are finished and all, and it could be here, Montana, Washington. Never know."