VIII

*

You woke up feeling a cold and hard object press against your wound.

"Ah," you exhaled sharply, the medical droid pulling away. Rubbing your eyes to adjust to the morning sun, you sat up the best you could without hurting your wound any more than it was. It was a new rotation. Rotation number four in this place according to the droid and Anakin. "How long will I be stuck here?" You immediately asked the medical droid.

"Approximately eight more rotations. I need to monitor the wound for a little bit longer before letting you out to recover only." The droid briefly explained. You sighed, closing your eyes and leaning back against the pillow that sat atop the flat bed.

Your mind began to wander. You thought more about the way you felt about Rex. You were scared to get attached. How Anakin secretly married Padmé, you would never understand. You weren't even sure if you would let your feelings take control of your thoughts. Of course you felt a certain way about Rex, and you are guessing he feels the same way, but you were a Jedi. He was the captain of the 501st clone legion. For you two to get closer in any means was dangerous.

Though, you couldn't resist it. Everything about him was so perfect; his height, his hair, his facial features, his smile, the way he walked and talked and just existed... he is amazing. And for love, this is the first time your heart has truly pulled you to someone. Your love for a friend has never been as strong as the love you felt for Rex.

To complete your fantasy, the most perfect man opened the door and walked into the room.

"Good morning, (y/n)," Rex removed his helmet, revealing his perfect smile.

"Good morning," you smiled back. Rex set his helmet on the table beside your bed. "So, not to make it seem like I don't enjoy your company because I do, but shouldn't you be on a mission?"

"No, at least not yet. I am awaiting orders but until we get those orders, the 501st and the 212th have a few days off duty. Which is why Cody and I are going out to 79's tonight," Rex explained. You nodded, wishing you could get out of this mess. To have a drink would be nothing short of perfect.

"Bring me back a drink, would you?" You joked. The medical droid, which was on the other side of the room, made its way over to you.

"No," it answered for you. You glared at its back when it left.

"Did that thing really come all the way over here to tell you no, then leave?" Rex asked, laughing slightly. You shook your head and looked up at Rex. The golden sun of the morning shone into his eyes, making the honey brown actually look like honey.

Before you spoke, you thought for a minute. You thought about how your feelings for Rex could potentially screw you over and everything you have worked so hard for your whole life. One slip up and you could be expelled from the Order.

"What's on your mind?" Rex asked. You snapped out of your thoughts, rubbing your eyes.

"Nothing. Just, how I wish I could leave this place," you placed your hand over your ribcage, feeling a thick layer of tape covering it. Lifting your gown, you noticed the tape wrapped all the way around your waist. Rex looked away from your face and down at your stomach.

You stared at the white tape that was stained a light pink from blood.

"You'll be out of here in no time, (y/n)," Rex attempted to make you feel better, which he succeeded in doing so. He sat on the bed in the same spot he did yesterday. "Then we can go out for a drink."

"Are you asking me on a date?" You smiled, punching Rex's shoulder pad. In that moment, every negative thought you've had about a relationship had disappeared. Every worry and concern about breaking the Jedi Code had been shoved to the back of your mind and in the front of it, every future possibility with Rex flooded your thoughts.

"Yeah, mesh'la, I am," Rex smiled confidently. "Can you walk?"

The medical droid came over to you, obviously hearing Rex's question. You wondered that too. You have been in the medical bay for three rotations asleep, and you just woke up last night. You haven't gotten up and walked yet.

"She can try to walk, but the minute she feels any immense pain she is to be back in bed to rest. And stay in the room." The droid ordered. You look up at Rex with a hopeful smile.

"A step closer to recovery," you said. Rex stood up and both him and the medical droid helped you to your feet. You felt minor pain in your shoulder and moderate pain in your ribcage, but you pushed through it so you didn't have to be lying in that awful bed all day.

Rex held your right hand in his left one as you began a slow walk. The medical droid left you in Rex's hands, hoping he would help you safely. You trusted Rex. He may be one of the greatest troopers on the battlefield with a hard shell, but he was a sweetheart deep down. At least he was to you, and that's all that truly mattered in the moment.

As you walked, you focused less on your pain and more on putting one foot in front of the other. There was a point in time when you actually forgot you had gotten shot twice. It was just you, your footsteps, and Rex.

"Doing alright?" Rex asked. You looked up at him and nodded.

"Better than ever," you smiled. You stopped walking, standing right in front of Rex. He grabbed your other hand so you both stood face to face with each other. "I should be out of here sooner than eight rotations. That droid is bullshitting me."

Rex chuckled at your angry statement.

"To be able to achieve your goal, you must be in the right mindset. And you're in a great mindset," he gripped your hands tighter.

To interrupt your little moment, the door opened and revealed your other favorite clone.

"Look who's awake!" Fives exclaimed. He removed his helmet and walked over to you and Rex. Rex had let go of one of your hands, but still held you steady with his other one. "How are you feeling, (y/n)?"

"Actually, I'm feeling well. For losing as much blood as I did, I strangely feel stronger than before," you explained. "Rex is helping me walk around a little bit."

"That's amazing. I can't wait until you can get back out on the front lines with us, General," Fives tipped his head at you slightly, making you miss fighting alongside him even more.

"I'll be out of here as soon as possible," you told him, although you didn't know how you would remain sane for the next eight rotations. The medical bay was nothing short of boring and plain. Rex and Fives' company was a relief.

"I wish you could come to 79's with us tonight. Most of the clones are celebrating the defeat of General Krell," Fives explained.

"We will go the moment I get out of here," you exclaimed.

"No," the medical droid sounded from the other side of the room. You scoffed, hearing Rex laugh. Looking at his perfect features, you sent him a playful glare.

"That droid hates you," he remarked through his laughter.

"You don't have to tell me twice," you squeezed Rex's hand tightly and looked back at Fives, who was confused. You shook your head and he seemed to dismiss the small PDA. Fives sat down on a table over by the door, talking to you and Rex as you made small laps around the room. It was nice to have company, especially when the company was the man you found attractive and the ARC trooper who you were proud to call your best friend.