Katana and heart to heart

Armin was fascinated with Mei's description of the outside world. The huge body of water he wanted to see so badly was called the ocean. The liquid fire was lava that came out of mountains called volcanoes. Armin was floored by how much information the Asians had kept.

Mei smiled at him. She genuinely liked this young boy with the brilliant mind. She thought he would get along well with some of the boys back home. Home. Mei missed her people, worried that something disastrous would happen during her absence. She had already sent Chang and his men back to New Asia. Chang had promised her he would send daily messenger pigeons when they got back.

Mei sighed, she went back to musing over the Jaeger boy. Slowly but surely, she had managed to drag the story she already knew from Mikasa's lips. She understood why she loved Eren so much, but Mei had seen this countless times before. The more Mikasa pushed to shelter him, the more he pushed back. At this moment in time, if he died, Mikasa would not recover.

Mei sighed again. It was around lunchtime and Mei walked into the dining hall to find Mikasa sitting with Armin and Eren. "Come," she said, "I have another something else to show you about your heritage." Mikasa stood up, and Mei saw the eagerness glinting in her eyes. Armin and Eren made to stand up too, but Mei shook her head, "She can show you when she gets back. It is a material item."

Mei walked back to the campsite she and her men had used. She crouched down and dragged out a long thin box from underneath a bush. She flicked it open and a beautiful sword glinted in the sunlight. Mikasa's breath caught. It was gorgeous. Graceful and lethal lines made up this weapon in contrast to the box cutter swords that came with the maneuver gear. Mei smiled at her. "Pick it up. It's yours. It belonged to your mother." Mikasa reverently picked it up. Her mother's.

Mei habitually walked around with her double swords sheathed on her back, but today a sword hanging on her hip had replaced her usual weapons. Mei unsheathed it, it made a clear ringing note as it was freed from its scabbard. A ray of joy shone on Mei's face. " They are called katana. They were invented by your people, the Japanese. They are lighter and stronger than the swords you've been using. They are hard, much harder, and will not dull like your blades. A katana is meant to be used with two hands. It is an art form. "

Mikasa's held the sword reverently, savoring the thought of having something that used to belong to her mother. "Follow me," was all Mei said. Mikasa imitated Mei's two handed grip on the katana and copied her slow sweeping strokes. She lost herself in this deadly dance. It felt so right somehow.

Unbeknownst to Mikasa, a set of piercing eyes watched her from a window.

Levi watched Mikasa wield her sword with deadly precision and grace. How was she good at everything? Levi didn't wan to admit it but he was enthralled by the smooth elegance of the sword she was wielding. Why couldn't she see how valuable she was? Why was Jaeger's wellbeing placed so much higher than her own. Levi watched Mei smile and say something to Mikasa. A stab of jealousy twisted his gut when he saw Mikasa eagerly respond to Mei's words.

Levi knew he couldn't give her the knowledge she craved about her heritage, but he'll be damned if he's not the one teaching her to be stronger, teaching her how to control her emotions, molding her into a better fighter, a better soldier.

Levi determinedly walked down stairs and through the doors to confront Mei. He stopped short when he realized that she was standing outside, casually leaning against a tree, like she was waiting for him.

Mei didn't bother mincing words. "I can see it bothers you she spends so much time with me, but I can teach her things no one else is capable of." She paused,"And I see the way you look at her. Maybe no one else can see it but I do. You're in love with her and you won't make a move. You hide it well, but I'm more observant than most." Levi glared, " You have no right to be here. You just waltzed in and you are attempting to take 3 people who are very valuable to the Scouting Legion." Levi felt resentment he kept easily locked inside oozing through the cracks in the fortress he had built in his mind. Mei's face contorted into a look of pure rage. Levi blinked. He hadn't been expecting that. "No right?" She snarled," I have every right to be here. I have the only right. She is one of us and she is ours. I said I was willing to compromise, didn't I? I am willing to make a fair trade. Your love blinds you to the fact that she could find it in her heart to return your feelings but she can't unless she knows how you feel. Your people persecuted us, left us to die at the hands of the titans. You will find no pity from me when these walls fall and you are left alone."