• Three •

.... hey... hi....

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

When I was little, during thunderstorms, sometimes I would cry so hard that my parents didn't know what to do with me. Eventually they'd let up and bring me to the one place that'd keep mr quiet. But they never knew why I threw such a fit.

They knew it wasn't a fear of loud noises, I wasn't scared of those yet. Or a fear of water, as swimming, bathes and showers were just fine. It wasn't even the bright flashes that my parents could use to connect the dots.

The secret was, was that I knew if I threw enough of a fit, they would call up my best friends parents, and they would drop me off at Haydens house, Briar soon joining us, and I'd spend the night there.

Now was this a nice thing to do to my family? No, not really... but it did get me past my parents who didn't allow me sleepovers on a school night.

So thats how I spent the majority of my rainy nights, sitting in a circle on a big pile of sleeping bags and blankets, with flashlights under our chins, and the ratty old cat named muffin Hayden used to have in elementary school.

Flashbacks of these easier times rushed forward so fast that the emotional pressure almost knocked me backwards onto the hard floor. My memories of what used to be perfect to me hit so hard that I felt like I was disassociating a little bit when I finally sat down in the center of the room, completing the awkward circle that for some reason felt so right.

But I knew that however familiar this was, I couldn't mentally and emotionally indulge myself for too long, or I would trick myself into thinking that the two men before me still cared, after all these years. I couldn't do that to myself. I wouldn't.

But my body didn't always like to listen to my mind, and so instead of getting back up and hiding away in the back room like I wanted too, like I should have, I clicked on the little blue flashlight I had stored away in an odds and ends drawer, and clutched it between my hands so tightly I was worried that they might see my white finger tips and strained knuckles, even in the dark.

I was still contemplating on whether or not it was a good idea to venture outside my hideout when the power clicked out, the only source of inanimate life still flowing coming from the battery powered radio, the Selena Gomez song playing louder than what it sounded like to be heard over the pounding rain outside.

But here I was, sitting ghost-story style with Hayden, Briar, and my dog, and it was far too late to turn around and go back the other way. I had to stick it through now.

Why had I decided to come join them? Honestly, I don't know. It was probably a mixture of curiosity and god knows what else. Well, I also knew what else, but god also knew I wasn't going to face or name said emotion, the one thing making me brave enough to sit here.

It was pretty awkward, just sitting here, and I kept opening my mouth and bracing myself to be the first one to speak. But after my fifth failed attempt, Hayden decided to open his big mouth again, and speak a little louder than he should have been, even over the loud rain.

It was familiar, and a little comforting. Not that I was scared or anything, that would be stupid. I chose to ignore the fact that after every rolling boom I lent just I little bit closer into the circle, taking shelter in my company and Tundras fur.

"So...." Hayden started. "How have you been Vallen? What's been going on in life? I don't think we've seen you since high school graduation. Wait, did you even go that tha- ow!" Hayden coughed a little, rubbing his ribs dramatically where he'd been elbowed. Briar glared at him lightly, but still looked at me pointedly, waiting for me to answer Haydens questions.

I decided to answer a evasively, considering that it wasn't really their business where I've been, and what I've been up to. Even though it's quite obvious. They're literally sitting in it.

"Well first of all, yes I was at graduation, not that either of you noticed." I added that part under my breath, but continued before one of them could add their two cents. "Then went to university, started my business, and I teach occasionally at the local college. What about you."

Briar looked almost impressed, but I could really tell in the lighting, or rather lack there of. He cleared his throat, and replied. "We've both been up to something similar. I started up a bread and liquor shop a few years ago, and recently Hayden went solo from the design company he was with."

Wow, I think that was the most words I ever heard ever leave his mouth. I was almost too distracted to be impressed. Almost. I glanced towards Hayden to see him nodding excitedly, him ready to cut in at any moment. And he most certainly did "Yup, I design, make, and to adjustments."

I nodded along. "cool, sounds like you're busy. How'd you end up here?" I asked, still not quite believing that this is all real.

"We got caught up in the rain, too dangerous to drive home to we ran to the only building we saw with their lights on. Both of us own buildings a few streets away. I'm sure you've at least passed 'Crust and cups', it's a block away, right on the corner. Hard to miss, Briar painted it the most hideous shade of brown known to man kind." Briar scoffed at Hayden's words, and started on Hayden's 'ungodly yellow boutique'.

But all I could do was sit there silently, thinking about how I had driven by both of of there businesses, and I hadn't thought twice about them. To think we'd all been so close by, this whole time.

"So anyways, how long have you been settled here? Place looks well loved- wait, fuck, I didn't mean it like that. Sorry." Hayden looked embarrassed, but I just rolled my eyes.

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

Wrapping this up at 1069 words, bc idk where to end this conversation.

Anyways heyyy, how've you been? I swear I've been here this whole time, I haven't forgotten about you guys.

I haven't been busy per say, just a lot of stuff taking up my attention and energy, so I haven't been focusing on writing.

Hope you guys enjoyed, I already started the next chapter so maybe I'll finish and post within the next few days? Idk, well see.

Bye, kisses, see you later!