chapter nine

Y/N POV

It feels like Nat and I have been sitting at this table for years, only leaving to take brief naps and use the bathroom. Other than that we've been scouring surveillance camera's, phone records, every corner of the internet, the lot. 

Reports of metal men raiding labs and weapons facility's all over the world, witnesses claiming to have relived their old memories and worst fears, and something too fast to see. Which means Ultron had managed to get the twins on their team. Part of me was excited that I would get to see the witch again, even it was to fight her. 

Steve enters the lab, handing a tablet to Thor. 

"What's this?" Stark asks, Thor passing him the tablet, also allowing me and Nat to see what Cap was showing us. 

It was a picture of a man, sprawled against the wall of a prison cell with a bullet wound through his head. Written in his blood on the concrete beside him is the word 'peace.' Goosebumps prickle up on my arms at the gruesome sight.

"A message. Ultron killed Strucker." Steve responds. 

"And he did a Banksy at the crime scene, just for us." 

"This is a smokescreen. Why send a message when you've just given a speech?" Nat points out. 

"Strucker knew something that Ultron wanted us to miss." Steve proposes. 

"Yeah, I bet he... yep. Everything we had on Struckers been erased." 

"Not everything..."

Hours later, we're all sat elbow deep in boxes, shuffling through all the paper copies we had archived on Strucker. His known associates, his friends. Let's just say he had A LOT of friends, every file nastier than the one before. Suddenly Tony points at the file he's reading and shouts

"Wait, I know this guy." All of us hurry over to look at the man in question.

"Back in the day. He operates off the African coast. Black market arms. There are conventions. All right? You meet people. I didn't sell him anything." He defends himself when he sees us all confused as to how he knows details on the black market.
"He was talking about finding something new, a game-changer." He finishes. 

Thor frowns, noticing something in the picture of the guy on the file. 

"This?" He asks, pointing to the outline of something on the side of the man's neck. 

"Uh, a tattoo. I don't think he had it back then." Stark retorts, waving his hand dismissively. Studying the image closer, I notice it's pigmented red, with angry white lines jagging from it. 

"That's not a tattoo, that is." I say, pointing at some tribal marks on his chest. Returning to the mark on his neck, I continue.
"That's a scar."

"A brand." Thor finishes, nodding his head agreeing. Clicks of files loading on the computer bring our focus to Bruce, who had already begun and succeeded in a search for the meaning of the brand on his neck. 

"It's a word in an African dialect meaning 'thief,' but in a much less friendly way." He informs us, turning back to face the group. 

"What dialect?" Steve requests. 

"Wak-Wakanada? W-Wakanda." Bruce stutters, struggling to pronounce the name.

I can't help but giggle at the sight of him desperately trying to say this word. Nat nudges me in the ribs giving me a stern look, but I can see her biting her lip in an attempt to hide her own smile. Composing myself, I notice Steve and Tony muttering to each other sternly, just loud enough for the rest of us to hear. 

"If this guy got out of Wakanda with some of their trade goods..." Stark began, Steve following where he was going. The rest of us glance around confused, each answering another's questioning look with a shrug.

"I thought your father got the last of it?" The super soldier inquires. 

"Sorry to interrupt boys, but we're all a bit lost. What comes out of Wakanda?" I interrupt, hums and murmurs coming from the rest of the team thinking the same.

"The strongest metal on earth." Tony reply's, glancing at Steve's shield that's sat against the desk. If Ultron was after the strongest metal on earth, what the hell was he planning to do? 

"Where is this guy now?" Steve turns back to Tony. A few taps on his tablet, and the billionaire pulls a hologram up of a map, zooming in on a location off the African coast. A salvage yard? 

"Suit up Avengers, hangar in 10." Steve orders, all of us rushing up and retrieving our belongings scattered throughout the room.

I bolt to my room, ripping off my clothes. Slipping into my suit, I run a brush through my tangled hair, pinning it up away from my face. Selecting a set of matte black knives from my wall, I slip one in each boot and spread the rest out throughout my suit. My batons and guns were in my locker in the hanger, along with my combat headphones. 

Grabbing my portable phone charger, I teleport to the kitchen to grab some leftover pasta from the fridge. I hadn't eaten in a while and I'm gonna need the energy. Meeting the rest of the team in the hanger, I retrieve the rest of my stuff from my locker and board the jet.

The air is tense as we take off. Nobody knows what we're expecting here, if it's just going to be the thief and his henchmen or if we'll be met with Ultron and the twins. My heart quickens at the thought of seeing them again, nerves knotting my stomach. Deep down, I don't think they realise they're with the bad guy. I mean, a Stark bomb did kill their parents. To them, we're the enemy, and God only knows what shit Ultron has been spewing to them. I guess the fact Tony made Ultron doesn't really send a good message either. I had also never gone against someone with similar abilities to me, usually, I can outrun the enemy, or shoot them down with a blast, but in this fight, I'm matched.

Despite the tight feeling in my stomach, I force the pasta down, preparing a playlist for the fight ahead. Keeping it upbeat, I create a mix of Paramore, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus and some other random songs here and there. I'm gonna need all the musically induced serotonin and focus I can get if I'm facing Wanda and her brother. The rest of the team always laugh at me for my sense of music, it really was just a mix of everything. I don't see them complaining when I have everyone dancing at the parties though.

About an hour or so passes and we land just outside the perimeter of the salvage yard undetected. The perks of working with a tech genius with endless finances means we can travel at incredible speeds in the quinjet, arriving across the world quicker than I've waited for a pizza to be delivered.

"Remember the plan." Steve barks through comms as we all make our way towards the cargo ships wedged in the waterless bay. Board the ship undetected, Nat, Clint and Bucky try to locate and retrieve the vibranium before Ultron, whilst Steve, Tony, Thor and I distract him and the enhanced. If we've beaten Ultron to it, it's an easy raid, but I have a feeling we may be too late.

Tony and Thor take off whilst I dash beneath them, reaching the ship Stark claimed to be the thieves. I sprint around and around, scouring for a safe entrance. I call out when I finally find a piece of the hull pulled back. We wait for the others to catch up, locking eyes with each other, before creeping aboard.