Always You

Inosuke had been with these two for a while now. Zenitsu Agatsuma and Tanjiro Kamado. He enjoyed their company, even if he'd never admit that. Even if Zenitsu got on his nerves the majority of the time. But Tanjiro had never truly annoyed him, and Inosuke even respected him a lot. He always caught himself in awe of the boy with the checkered haori, but always dismissed how he felt as admiration...and as embarrassing. The things Tanjiro would say to Inosuke always put a big pit in his stomach, which pissed him off. He never understood this, until he brought it up to someone else.

"Love?" Inosuke questioned. He'd rarely ever heard that word, nor had he ever thought he'd felt it.

"It could be!" The Insect Hashira pointed at him, "Or, it could just be that you find him superior to yourself, which could be making you nervous?" She remarked.

"No way. No one is better than me." Inosuke praised himself, but then stopped, "But...if I love him, then what the hell am I supposed to do about that?" He asked. Inosuke was truly very concerned for himself and his future with Tanjiro, so he tried his best to stay calm. Shinobu began to speak, and told him her solution to his own issue.

"Ask him out, Inosuke."

Inosuke felt many things in this moment. Was he scared? Was he doubtful? Was he angry? He wasn't sure, but he honestly felt like all of those emotions in one. She was right, though. It was the only solution to his predicament, and he knew he had to do it sooner or later. Or else he'd be eaten up by what felt to be butterflies in his stomach.

It was tearing him up, all he wanted to do was rip out those feelings and pummel them into the ground for how they made him feel. Embarrassed, yet giddy. Inadequate, yet equal. Sad, yet happy. He'd never felt so many emotions all because of one person.

Inosuke thanked Shinobu, to her surprise. With that, he left to go back to his room with Tanjiro and Zenitsu in the Butterfly Mansion. He began to ponder more about Tanjiro and how he not only treats him, but the other people he meets. Inosuke's confidence dulled, only for doubt to take over.

Tanjiro was kind to everyone, even demons. Inosuke never understood that, because kindness and respect was earned, not just given even to those who have hurt you. Tanjiro would give you the shirt off of his back if you needed a shirt. He'd do anything for anyone, and expect nothing in return. This was also something he never understood. Tanjiro had done so many things for Inosuke, and Inosuke hadn't returned the favor. Not once.

This began to eat at Inosuke, which caused tears to slip. He wanted to treat Tanjiro better, he wanted to give that boy the entire world. He took his boar mask off, because he didn't want it to get wet. He was very obviously crying, but no one else was around since it was very late at night.

Inosuke continued walking, only to slowly fall to the floor. He threw his mask down the hall, and sat against the wall. He cried. He was so frustrated and confused, and he didn't know how to handle all of these feelings, so he completely broke down, completely unaware of his surroundings.

"Inosuke?" He heard a voice say. It was Tanjiro. Tanjiro was crouched down at his side, concerned for his friend. He was holding Inosuke's mask.

"Are you alright? What happened? Where did you go? I've been looking for you for a while now." Tanjiro said, worriedly. Only then did Inosuke lift his head, which made Tanjiro let out a barely audible gasp. Tanjiro sat down next to Inosuke, leaning on Inosuke slightly. He handed the boy his mask, and Inosuke grabbed it and stood up.

"Tanjiro." He said, looking intensely at Tanjiro. Tanjiro stood up too, and faced Inosuke.

"That's the first time I've heard you say it right, Inosuke." Tanjiro said, surprised. He smiled at Inosuke, which completely made him melt. Inosuke felt his face heating up, and in the heat of the moment, he said it.

"I love you, Tanjiro."

Tanjiro stood there for a minute, and then laughed. "That's the first time you've ever said my actual name, Inosuke! And I love you too! You're a very good friend to me and--" Inosuke cut him off.

"No, it's different. The way you make me feel...you make me sick to my stomach. But it's not bad. You make me all giddy but I start to doubt myself, which really pisses me off. You piss me off. I can't hate you , though. Actually, the more you do the things that make me mad, the more I love you. You're always so nice to me even if I don't do anything for you. I want to make you feel this way too. I want you to love me too. It was always you, Tanjiro." Inosuke said, tears streaming down his face. It felt good to let these emotions out, but it was a lot for him. However, it was a lot for Tanjiro too.

Tanjiro stared at Inosuke, painfully. He hung his head down, and he couldn't even look at the boy. He had no clue of how to handle this, or what to say. The silence only hurt Inosuke more, so Tanjiro broke the silence.

"I'm sorry, Inosuke. But..."

This was all Tanjiro could muster. Inosuke felt his heart sink, and he dropped his mask to the floor. He felt as if his entire world was crumbling. His throne had turned to rust, and his self-esteem depleted. But most of all, the first person he had ever loved turned him down. He didn't know what to do, so he ran.

Inosuke ran out of the Butterfly Mansion, not a single plan in mind. He just knew he couldn't live around Tanjiro anymore. He couldn't face him, not after that. He ran as far as he could, until he couldn't run anymore. His tears had dried, but the sense of emptiness lingered, and only got stronger.

Tanjiro ran out of the Butterfly Mansion, into the rain with Inosuke's boar mask in hand. He called out his name, but got no response. The rain had washed away Inosuke's scent, and made Tanjiro feel hopeless. Tears formed in the boys eyes, and he fell to his knees. He began to apologize to his friend, even if his words weren't heard. His wounds began to re-open, causing him to completely fall into the mud and sob harder. The girls working in the Butterfly Mansion heard Tanjiro's wails, and dragged him back inside, and began to tend to his re-opened wounds. He passed out, clinging to the boar mask.

Inosuke was laying in the mud, looking up into the trees, with the rain hitting his face. He decided that he'd be on his own for a while, and they'd cross paths again when it was meant to be.

Inosuke was, again, for the first time in forever, truly alone.