Bubbler

And he is right next to me, the rain pooling at his feet. Thunder cracks in the distance, but all I can focus on is him. Him. Adrien. The boy who, hours ago, I was ready to scoff and turn my nose up at forevermore. His slim fingers brush against mine as he passes his umbrella to me, leaving himself exposed to the downpour. I stand covered by his generosity as he looks into my eyes, a word forming on his lips.

"Adrien, what is it?" I whisper, marveling at his simple beauty. The way his jaw slopes down, how his hair falls.

He breathes in, seemingly in no rush to say whatever it is he wants to say, as if we have all the time in the world to stand here in the rain. "Marinette, you look—"

"Day off in Kyoto, got bored at the temple..."

My alarm pushes me back into reality as I shield my eyes from the sunlight invading my room. The curtains I always seem to forget to draw closed are of no use. 

As they say in books, it was all just a dream. Somehow, I'm still obsessing over the whole umbrella event days later. God, Adrien Agreste gave me his umbrella. The fact that I'm dreaming about that rather than the fact that I am now a superhero is, perhaps, a bit concerning.

Nevertheless, I mute Phoebe and grab my phone. As my eyes adjust to the light, I read through a few notifications from the past night. Updates to the Ladyblog, new fashion magazines dropped, some texts from Alya frantically telling me about how she's "talking" with a cute girl from London, a reminder that today is Adrien's birthday, some other—

Wait. Adrien's birthday? It's Adrien's birthday today? 

My mind filters through its morning fog and recognizes that it is, in fact, Adrien's birthday. I jump down from my bed, Tikki floating behind me, and turn on my computer to the wallpaper I made a few days ago. Adrien, Adrien, some hearts, and more Adrien.

"Happy birthday, Adrien," I sigh and blow a kiss to the screen. God, that boy will be my ruination. 

Getting ready for school is proving to be the hardest part of my week thus far. I don't usually wear much makeup, but perhaps I'll make an exception for today. I want Adrien to see me as I saw him that day in the rain. I want anyone to see me that way, actually. 

Besides, it's his birthday. He is bound to remember this day better than others, meaning he will remember me on this day more than on any other normal school day, meaning I must be... perfect.

After some mascara, eyeliner, and lip-gloss, I feel a thousand times more prepared for the day. Perhaps a bit in danger of a dress-code violation, but nonetheless, more prepared. And hot. I feel hot.

I pack my school bag for the day, tidying up the math worksheets and geography textbooks strewn across the floor from last night's study session with Alya, Rose, Juleka, and Mylene. I snag Adrien's present from atop my dresser and admire the blue wrapping paper for a moment before making for the stairs.

"Marinette, don't forget to clean you room after school today," my Mom reminds me as I reach the bottom of the staircase. I spot the tea she is drinking and resist the urge to pour it down the drain out of annoyance.

"Mom," I try, "it's Friday, and I'm already doing something with Alya."

She turns to face me. "Fine, I'll go ahead and clean it, but don't blame me if I come across any of your private stuff like your emails, your diary—"

"Okay, I'll do it, I'll do it!" I cut in, more horrified at the idea of my mother finding my Adrien shrine than missing out on some plans with Alya. I give her a quick kiss on the cheek and make for the door before she can change her mind.