Chapter Six

Amy stared emptily in front of her from where she sat behind Jacobi's, tear tracks staining her cheeks, wondering why she had even thought of going back to the infamous diner in the first place. It wasn't like anyone even wanted to see her, anyway.

But she couldn't count on her sister to help her out anymore, so it wasn't like there was anywhere else for her to go.

Her sister.

Laura had betrayed her in a way no one else had before. Her words still echoed tauntingly in Amy's mind.

If you don't, I will.

Amy only wished things hadn't changed so much.

She ran her fingers over the gloves she always, always wore, feeling ashamed and embarrassed. If she hadn't been so hopelessly in love with Romeo, maybe she would've noticed that he had never cared about her. She wished to be able to take it all back. To go back to watching him pass her by every few days with his papes. To when she and Laura were still the best of friends.

But you couldn't erase the past.

After she'd been sitting there for at least a half an hour, she thought about just getting up and leaving, before she saw a girl around her age approaching her. It wasn't long until the girl reached her, sitting down next to Amy with a heavy sigh.

A moment passed, in which Amy tried to work her way out of her confusion and asked, "Who are you?"

The girl turned to look at her, deep regret swimming in her brown eyes. "They call me Nutcracker."

A beat of silence.

"Okay, I call myself Nutcracker," she admitted after a moment, looking down at her hands sheepishly. The embarrassment didn't linger much longer. "Alright, cool. Introductions are out of the way. So, first off, I just want to say I'm sorry."

Amy frowned. "What for?"

"Oh, where to begin?" Nutcracker sighed. "The whole thing between you and Romeo, your sister's betrayal, her- oh, spoilers."

"You're a... fortune teller?"

"Do those even exist right now?" Nutcracker wondered out loud. "Never mind. No, I can tell you that I'm definitely not a fortune teller. It's my... duty... to make sure you have a good, but also bad life. Because you're my child, and I care for you. Like a fairy Godmother."

Amy narrowed emerald eyes at the girl, newly suspicious. "I don't think that's how-"

"Shh, it's okay," Nutcracker intervened quickly. "I'm just here to tell you to not worry about what happened, or what's gonna happen. You just have to go talk to Romeo. He needs to see you."

Amy's mouth dropped open in shock. She wondered if the girl had lost her mind. She didn't even question how this girl knew so much about her life. She figured it was better not to ask. "But he hates me!"

"Why does this sound familiar?" Nutcracker rolled her eyes. "He doesn't hate you. He's confused. Look, it's all gonna turn out alright, but it might not if you don't go talk to him."

Amy huffed, disgruntled. This girl had another thing coming for her if she thought, even for a second that she was going to-

"Are you going to open that door yourself, or are you going to make me do it?"

Amy blinked when she saw that she was standing right in front of the door to Jacobi's, having no recollection of getting there. "Wha-?"

"Time jump," Nutcracker explained, throwing her another sheepish smirk. "Gotta love 'em."