87. Paris Wills, Age 16, October 25, 2019

In the pale early morning sunlight of the sitting room, Sabina gives a final parting hug to Tiff and I, her arms wrapped snug around both of us. Though Sabina's departure saddens me, it certainly saddens Tiff more. Other than Dr. Cole, Sabina is the only one who can break Tiff's silence. Sabina offered to return to Neo on Tiff's behalf, but Dr. Cole feels that any visits to Neo, even infrequent ones, would be jarring to Sabina's recovery. She won't be coming back to Neo for Tiff, or me, or anyone. Including André.

From afar, André watches Sabina, his cyan blue eyes twinkling with droplets of water. His soft coral lips muster a half smile at the sight of her outstretched arms.

"Come here," Sabina calls, beckoning André over.

André falls into Sabina's welcoming arms, his flushed forehead resting on her's. Although their love blossomed mere days ago, they already know each other's unique idiosyncrasies and their bodies speak with a love language foreign to those around them. As André's soft, delicate fingertips run through Sabina's bubblegum pink hair, he brings her pillowy lips toward his. Sabina's hands find their place on André's scruffy cheeks, steadying herself as they share a fervent kiss.

There's an urgency to it; preparation for their impending separation. Gazing upon their affectionate union, I'm reminded of Gray and how difficult it's been to be separated from him these past few weeks. I miss having the chance to give him a swift peck whenever I wanted. Soon, Sabina and André will experience that same longing, and my heart aches for them.

"Don't forget about me," André sighs as they part, a trail of saliva between their swollen lips.

"I could never," Sabina replies, wiping away the tears escaping her eyes.

Without another word, Sabina shoulders her purse and duffel bag and turns around. André steps backward toward me and Tiff. I take him in my arms, soothing his shaking body and easing the sobs threatening to billow from his fragile lungs.

As Sabina tiptoes out the sitting room and through that fateful corridor, her figure fades leaving nothing but a shadow of herself behind. Soon, Sabina's uncle will greet her with a warm embrace and she'll return to the world outside Neo's doors. Someday, I hope we'll all follow in her footsteps.

***

"Where did Sabina say she and her uncle were driving?" André asks, sitting across from me on the unoccupied twin bed. We've been in Sabina's vacant room all morning. It's jarring, seeing it so empty. Barren of Sabina's sheet music taped across the walls, her numerous clothes littered across the floor, and her dozens of CDs stacked neatly on the desk. We've been sitting in here for over an hour, unwilling to leave and admit that another individual will soon inhabit this room. It's a momentous accomplishment for Sabina to leave Neo and, truthfully, André and I are happy for her. Yet that doesn't dispel the strange emptiness between us. Someone's missing, and she can't be replaced.

"Down the PCH to Hollywood. They're gonna do some sightseeing there, then take the scenic Route 66 across country," I respond, imagining Sabina's excitement as she sits in the passenger seat of her uncle's sunshine yellow VW Bug. Taylor Swift's 1989 spins in the CD player while Sabina rests her head on the windowsill, looking out at the breezy palms and sloshing ocean waves.

"By the time they make it to Arizona," André ponders, "I should be out of Neo."

"And your point?" I question, wondering where he's going with this.

"I need a plane ticket for Arizona," André says with a snicker, and I'm delighted by the romantic image of Sabina and André reunited under the blazing Arizona sun.