Photograph

Song: Photograph- Ed Sheehan

While I'm waiting for my dad to get home, my curiosity gets the better of me. I go up to the attic and look through some of the boxes looking for the one with all the old photos in it. I find the photo album with all of my mom's childhood photos in it and go to my room.

I'm flipping through the photos when I see some that have another boy, slightly older than her in them. That must be her brother. There's maybe a 2 years difference in age between them. I flip the pictures over, hoping to find dates or names on the back, but I don't find any.

I get to one that must have been one of the last photos taken of him before he died. They're both teenagers in this photo. It's a candid photo of mom trying to eat a huge piece of cake at her birthday. The boy is looking on with an amused and fond expression on his face. Looking at this, I can easily believe how much they loved one another.

Instead of putting the album back, I take this photo out of its sleeve. I want to keep this one with me for some reason. I hear a knock on my door jam and look up to see my dad is home from work. "Hey dad, do you know anything about Mom's brother?"

"I only know the stories she's told me. He passed before she and I ever met."

"What did she tell you?"

"Apparently they were quite the chaotic duo. Your mom and he once got in trouble for breaking into that old museum in the city. When the security guard caught them, they said they just wanted to see the paintings at night. That wasn't the only time they got caught. That museum was like their happy place"

I laugh a little at that. Who knew mom used to be such a rule breaker? Suddenly I remember what it was that I actually wanted to ask him. "A couple friends from school wanted to hang out in a little bit. Is it okay if I go over to Julie's house?"

He brightens up immediately. "Absolutely! Just be home in time to get a good nights sleep for school tomorrow." I kiss him on the cheek and head over to Julie's house.

When I get there, music is already playing in the studio. Flynn is here too and I go to sit beside her on a black leather couch to the side.

"Well hello there, Sammie," Reggie says easily. I startle a little bit at his nickname. No one really calls me that anymore, not since I was a kid.

"Ignore him," says Alex with a grin.

"Easier said than done, he keeps popping up randomly. Almost like he has a thing for me," I answer back. A little bit of payback for earlier today. He stutters trying to come up with something to say. "Boys let's focus on the music shall we," says Luke, coming up behind Reggie and placing his hands on his shoulders.

"Wait I have a question, you say people can only see you when you play? What do they see when you perform? Cuz I can always see you guys."

"Hey Julie show Sam the clip your dad did" says Alex. He gets up from his drum set so he can watch the video too. Julie goes to get her laptop and presses play on the video. It looks like the guys just poof out of no where. "So you can't just say they're ghosts, what's the cover story?"

"Oh I know this one!" Exclaims Reggie, raising his hand like he's in class and waving it around. I can't help but laugh a little. "Julie said that we're 'holograms'," he puts air quotes around the last word.

Before the guys and Julie can get back to band practice, Carrie bursts through the open garage door. "Julie I can't believe I have to say this, but I need your help." We all look shocked, but none as shocked as Julie.  Flynn and I glance sideways at each other as if to say is this really happening?

"What do you need my help with?" Julie asks confused.

"Something is wrong with Nick I just know it. He's not acting the same."

Julie's confusion changed to slight annoyance. Flynn gets up to stand by Julie and leans her elbow on her Julie's shoulder. "You're just upset that Nick finally moved on from you," she says.

"No this isn't about me! Look you can't tell me you don't see him acting different than usual."

"Of course he's acting different, he's finally decided that he's done with you. Can't say I blame him," says Julie. She's crossed her arms over her chest. Carrie looks really upset about what's going on. I look over at the boys and see they're watching this exchange with bored expressions.

"Why would I lie?"

"I don't know, just to mess with us?" Says Flynn. I can tell they're not going to take anything Carrie says seriously. I can see why if they're relationship with Carrie is how they say it is. I probably wouldn't believe her either...except I know what she's talking about.

Nick did seem really weird. I've never had the type of interactions that these 3 girls have, but I know what I felt this morning. Everything in me was screaming "danger." Plus, it must have taken a lot for Carrie to even think about asking Julie for help.

"Fine just forget I said anything. But don't blame me when something ends up happening to him." Carrie storms out of the garage.

I hesitate for a second before saying "Do you really think Carrie would lie about something like this?" Julie and Flynn look over at me. "I'm not entirely sure. She would definitely mess with us, but this is going too far," says Julie. She looks unsure.

"I think she may be right," I start off. I'm not sure why, but I make the choice to tell them what happened this morning with Nick. "I think I want to hear her side of the story."

Julie shrugs and says "If you want to go after her and find out, go for it. Tell us what happens tomorrow at lunch." I let out a breath of relief knowing I didn't ruin this new friendship by saying that I wanted to go after Carrie.

I turn to race out the garage door, hoping that she didn't get too far.