A Penny For Your Thoughts

Summary: Basically a Dystopia AU but with me and the cursed one's aka my friends

TW: Mild Swearing

Author's side note: The appearance, name and such of me and my friends were altered, so dw!

(A Story for March 2021 Writing Contest)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

The small puddle that had formed in the gaps of the cobbled street splashed under their leather boots, as they heaved and gasped painfully, lungs burning as they pushed their aching legs to run faster. Light curls of hair stuck around their face as sweat rolled down their temple. Running straight through an alleyway, balancing themselves as to not stumble from the sharp turn of direction.

They ignored the shouts of their pursuers, turning to another sharp corner, their sweaty hands clenched painfully as they kept pushing their legs to a full blown sprint. Blood pumped in their ears but they strained to hear the shouts of their pursuers grow faint, and when it all went quiet they slowed down to a halt.

Misty clouds formed in front of them as they took a deep breaths, gloved hand gripped at their knee while the other lay flat on the bricked wall, hunching over as they tried to catch their breath, leaning on the wall beside them. Ignoring the burning ache in their lungs that dulled down as they greedily breathed in the polluted air looming over the city streets, the painful ache in their legs becoming more apparent as the adrenaline slowly left their body.

They stood up and pushed theirself away from the wall as they clung to the remaining adrenaline, proceeding to move forward, walking instead of running. Their breathing had steadied, albeit a bit shaky, one of their hands gripping at the torn and dirty canvas bag that they had been carrying since early morning when they left their ​​home to gather food. They walked pass dumpsters that were yet to be emptied, rats scurrying around the wet and muddied ground, moss and mold growing at the corners and crevices of the tall buildings that towered over them. Their thoughts were crowded, the underlying heavy and suffocating feeling settling in their chest, but getting home was their main priority.

Their tense shoulders went slack, letting out a breath of relief as they stood in front of a metal door, a little bent and rusty with age but it was functional enough. They couldn't really complain about it considering how they're living within one of the lowest districts. They sighed, pushing their black square framed glasses up to the bridge of their nose, gripping the door knob and turning it.

The door creaked and groaned in protest as they pushed it open slowly, warmth enveloping them as they took a step in, boots landing on a welcome home carpet, text barely distinguishable and had also blackened due to the lack of washing it. They shook off their leather boots, putting it aside before going further inside, they breathed in the smell of damp wood and the scented candles that welcomed them. They took off their beige trench coat and fingerless gloves, shoving them in the pockets of their trench coat before placing it over a coat rack, although they decided to keep their thin burgundy scarf around their neck. Soon after that they made their way to the couch, which had creaked loudly with the sudden weight. They shook off the canvas bag, placing it in front of them, right on top of the coffee table they had at the center of the living room. They sighed in bliss, leaning on the back rest, happy that they could relax for the rest of the day.

Although Alex knew that she couldn't really relax, not with her two other friends that lived with her.

"You're back" A tired and monotone voice remarked, a sipping noise followed after.