I Once Dreamt Of A Proud Evening Star

(APRIL WRITING CONTEST)

*this is where I got in to one of the three honorable mentions :D*

Prompts:
Song Prompt = one line from Moral of the Story; "Some mistakes get made, and that's alright / "...it's ok"
Dialogue Prompt = "Why did you lie, why is it that you always lie? / "It's for your own good. That's why"

Characters:
Helena Krea Clarke and Fendrel Dain Clarke (twins)
Inspired by:
- Castor and Pollux (Dioscuri)
- Dream Within A Dream by Edgar A. Poe
"Is all that we see or seem, is but a Dream within a Dream"
- Evening Star by Edgar A. Poe
"And I turned away to thee,
Proud Evening Star,
In thy glory afar,
And dearer thy beam shall be;
For joy to my heart
Is the proud part
Thou bearest in Heaven at night,
And more I admire
Thy distant fire,
Than that colder, lowly light."

========================================

Helena heaved as sweat, dirt and ash covered her fair toned skin, blood vessels pulsed with adrenaline as her heart pounded hard against her chest. Ignoring the dull ache of her body, heavy with exhaustion, and pushed herself off the ground (shrugging off the arm that had shielded and held her down). She stumbled a little, as she carefully stood up straight.

She looked around, debris surrounded them, smoke and ashes drifted around the air. The dusty and suffocating smell of it invaded her lungs and her sensitive nose, the ringing in her ears which was just as sensitive had subsided leaving her hearing stuffed as if her ears were filled with cotton. The curly strands of her ginger red hair stuck to her forehead, her waist length hair dirty and disheveled, it's tips burnt. Her once pristine white shirt was just as dirty, clinging to her firm yet slender body uncomfortably due to sweat.

Looking down she could see Viscount Clifford struggling to stay conscious, far too exhausted but just as stubborn. Just a little in front of them was Amber, who curled in herself with her hands and knees supporting her, she panted and coughed, her body had reached it's limits as well.

Being a Beastkin gave her an advantage in terms of physical strength and healing capabilities, taking this as an opportunity, she painfully walked away from the Viscount, limping as she gritted her teeth and ignoring the stinging pain on her leg. Ignoring the call of Amber whom had coughed out blood, the results of her attempt to push past her limits. Ignoring the way Viscount Clifford reached out to her weakly, in hopes of at least stopping her, despite knowing that it was futile.

She climbed up and pushed away whatever rubbish stood in her way, her sweaty hands gripped on rock after rock as if she was desperately clinging to the little hope -- to the grains of sand she so desperately tried to keep in the palms of her hands. Her amber eyes clouded over as she envisaged herself on that same coastline she had dreamt of, crying loudly, looking up the big bright but lonely star as she gripped at the sand beneath her, as if to ground herself or to maybe cling to the hope that she could keep the moments each grain of sand held.

But she knew no moment lasts forever.

("All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream")

Amidst the debris, laid her brother -- her other half -- burried under ash and rocks. Relief flooded her nerves as she stumbled over, her forehead creased in worry and her eyes pleaded for her brother to be fine, her lips pulled in a tight line.

Kneeling down to meet her brothers worryingly limp body, she pushed off the rocks and carefully cradled him.

"Fendrel... Fendrel, please wake up"

She spoke in a hushed tone, wiping away the sweat and dirt from her brothers face, tucking his once ginger red hair behind his ear. Tears blurred her vision but she could tell that her brother had opened his eyes that used to have an identical color to hers, she could feel his hand shakingly reach out and caress her cheek as he smiled up at her gently just as he had always did, yet why was he smiling at nothing?