twenty-four

- Chapter Twenty-Four -
"Have a biscuit, Piper."

"Are the rumours true?"

"Is she...you know?"

"Who do you reckon she likes?"

"I don't know why we didn't notice sooner, Diggory is right there and she never made a move."

"Lewis must be heartbroken, they went to the ball together, y'know?"

"Does she sleep in the boys dorm? You know, to protect the girls."

Piper Hutchins sat numbly at the front of the classroom, perched on the edge of her stool with her hand gripped tightly around her quill which hadn't touched the paper all lesson except to write the date that was scribbled shakily in the top right corner. It had been two weeks since she had last come out of her dorm and she thought she was ready, but obviously not. There had been whispers all day, around her, behind her. Whispers accompanied by stares, whether they be judging or not, they were still staring.

It was the first lesson of the day and Professor Snape was sat at his desk in the Potions classroom, paying no attention to the obvious mumblings around him and the unusual silence of his fifth-year Potions class. Piper had hoped that no matter how mean the man was, he would stand up for her seeing as people saw her as his favourite if she could even label herself as that. But he did nothing. He glanced up a couple of times to make sure everyone was revising for their practice exam next week leading up to their O.W.Ls but made no comment on the clear distress Piper was in.

It wasn't even like he couldn't see her, her seating plan position was front row, third desk next to a Slytherin boy who she was lucky was not in today. She was disappointed at most, disappointed and scared for what else awaited her the rest o the day. If this was how she was treated in a lesson with the scariest teacher, how would she be treated at lunch or say dinner? Maybe she wasn't quite ready to be back yet.

David had gotten quieter now, still sleeping in the dorm with Cedric but heavily ignored by both him and Lewis. He no longer hung out with the group and if one one of them even spotted him in the vicinity of Piper, they approached him first and moved him away from her before he could attempt to open his mouth. Others didn't have that problem, not many people had come up to her anyway but they still weren't keeping their mouths shut when Ashley, Nora, Joy and Stella were still looming in the classroom and glaring in the direction of the whispers.

Piper hadn't written anything for the practice test down on her paper, there was a lump in her throat that seemed to distract her from everything, including doing her work. She had only smiled once since the news got out and that was because Nora mad a funny joke completely unrelated to the situation at hand. But she had yet to laugh. At the moment, it seemed impossible and she tried to gulp once more but the lump in her throat remained.

A small pull came from the back of her head and she reached her hand around to catch what it was, twisting around in her stool to catch a small ball of paper falling to the ground below her. She looked up to try and find the culprit but found nothing, people had abandoned staring for a moment and actually wrote something due to the half point of the lesson passing by smoothly. Piper grabbed the paper from the floor, thinking it might be from Ashley who she couldn't quite see because she was sat behind a couple of desks.