Chapter 40

Katniss pov:

I walk on my house since I just left Peeta's this morning while he was sleeping. I take a quick shower and put on some cloths. I choose to put on some makeup. I never took off the sliver promise ring Peeta gave me. I grab Peeta's black zip up sweater but I don't wear yet. I walk downstairs and see prim eating breakfast.

"Hey little duck" I say.

"Hey Katniss how are you?" She asks.

"I'm fine" I say. "I going to go pick up Peeta".

"Ok Rues mom is going to drive me" she says.

"Ok byeee" I call while I am walking out the door. I am about to get in my car when I see Finnicks car. I feel arms behind me and I see Finnick.

"Katniss I was so worried" he says.

"Why?" I ask.

"Because you nearly got hit by a car you could have died-"

"No I mean why do you care?" I ask confused.

"Are you serious? Katniss your like a sister to me I couldn't live without my little sister" he says.

"Oh sorry I am not used to people caring so much" I say and he frowns.

"I'm going to pick up Peeta" I say and gettting in my car. I pull up to Peeta's house and Finnick is behind me. Peeta runs out of his house and gets in my car.

"Who gave you permission to get in my car?" I ask.

"I did" he says and gives me a quick peck on lips. I drive to school and park my car. The group is already at school. Me, Peeta and Finnick walk up to the group even Gale is there I guess me and Peeta are the only a ones who werent drunk and remember what happened. Peeta and Finncks muscles tense when they see Gale. It's cute good overprotective they both are. They whole group looks at me.

"Katniss are you ok?" Asks Marvel.

"Yeah why?" I ask.

"Because you nearly died" says Cato and Clove steps on his foot.

"Ok I don't see why you all care so much if I die I die it doesn't matter" I say shrugging.

"Ok Katniss I know your big on feelings but we would care if you got hurt" Says Glimmer.

"Ok sure" I say. "Let's just get to class". I walk to class but Peeta seems to be going faster than me on purpose. Is he avoiding me? Why? I get in class and Peeta is already at his seat. I sit beside him and he looks away from me. What the hell?

"What?" I ask.

"Why don't you think we care?" He asks.

"I don't know I guess I am not used to so many people in my life that care" I say shrugging.

"Ok" he whispers. I gets kind of cold in the class so I put on the sweater I stole from Peeta. He looks at the sweater and smiles while she shakes his head.

"How many of my sweaters do you have?" He asks.

"Not as many shirts of yours" I say and he chuckles. Class starts and I get lost in my thoughts.

"Katniss! Katniss! I asked you to answer the question" I hear Miss Trinket yell.

" I can't answer that equation" I say.

"Why not?" She asks.

"You wrote it wrong" I say.

"W-what?" She asks. I sigh and go to the board and show her the mistakes she made. She looks shocked.

"I couldn't answer a question if the question was wrong" I say and go back to my seat. Everyone seems shocked and some kids snickered at the teachers mistake. Peeta looks at me and smiles. When math is over the rest of the classes pass by fast and it's lunch. I sit at our usual lunch table and Cato speaks up.

"Did the car hit you?" He asks.

"What?" I say.

"That small cut and bruise on your cheek" he says.

"Gale punched me" I say calmly and start eating. Everyone looks shocked but not Peeta and Finnick.

"At my party you guys were all to drunk to notice" Finnick says.

"Catnip i am really sorry-" Gale starts.

"What did you call me?" I ask. I remember someone in my elementary school calling me that. It's was 2nd grade. I remember because we 'dated' for three days but he 'broke up' with me because I ate his ring pop. I remember his name. Dale? Something with a G maybe. G-Gale! Oh my god I remember now.

"Oh my god I remember you!" I say.

"From elementary?" He asks.

"Yeah you jerk in 2nd grade!" I say.

"Yeah we 'dated' for 3 days in the 2nd grade until I 'broke up' with you for eating my ring pop. I didn't think you would remember" he says.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"I don't know" he says.

"Wait Gale punched you?" Asks Annie.

"Yeah he did!" Says Finnick. "And your lucky I didn't beat the crap out of you when I had the chance".

"Same here" says Peeta.

"Sorry I will never touch her again" Gale says sincerely.

"Yeah or you want have hands to touch" says Finnick in a threatening voice. You can tell Finnick is a silly person but you always know when he's being serious.

"Ok well-" I start.

"Why?" Asks Glimmer. "Why don't you think we would care if you die?".

"Because nobody needs me. If I die nothing will change. Everyone has someone they need and no one needs me" I say and keep eating and everyone stays silence. And stays still.

"I do" Peeta whispers so only I can hear. "I need you" he says. I look into his eyes and I know he's being honest.

"No you don't" I say and get up and walk out of the cafeteria. I really don't want to talk about this. Of course Peeta follows me into the empty halls.

"Katniss I need you" he says.

"Peeta you can live 100 life times and never need me-" he cuts me off with a kiss he puts his hands on my waist and I rap my arms around his neck. We pull apart and instantly crash our lips together again. I smile into the kiss and so does Peeta.