some fall for the stars.

I never once loved myself. They didn't let me.

"Sora."

At the sound of her name, the young girl crouching by the pond looked up, curious eyes wide, reflecting the bright fishes she was staring at.

"You came again."

Sora smiled at the girl watching her. "I waited for you, Sorin."

Sorin sighed, her red eyes softening. She moved towards the girl and held out her hand. Light fingers and a soft palm fit right into hers. Although Sora was a princess, her skin wasn't pampered; it was rough from playing with nature and... neglect.

As she was to die soon anyway.

Sorin pulled her up and Sora stumbled forward, her head bumping against Sorin's chest. "Ouch..." She mumbled, and Sorin rubbed her head soothingly with another sigh. But she froze in that moment. Red eyes flashed bright as she gripped the girl's wrist, pulling it up. "This...?"

"Ah," Sora bit her lip, then strained a smile looking up at the taller girl. In those red eyes, she could see her expression. It was pained.

"What are you doing, Reuel?" A tired butler whispered to the young prince he had been tasked to be a playmate and caretaker to. It was probably the most laborious task of all, to keep up with this young boy who doesn't even let the butler call him by his title, no matter how much he begged.

"Quiet, noisy old geezer," the boy hissed and the butler mustered the energy to make an offended face.

"I'm only a few years older than you!"

"Die of old age already," the boy nudged at the butler's arm, making him sigh and pull at his cheek. The boy clicked his tongue, glaring at the butler but immediately brought his attention back to the young girl making her way towards the garden. The butler, Kita, watched the prince's expression quietly. Although a selfish, potty-mouthed prince he was, the young boy was still quite soft-hearted towards those close to him, and completely in love with the pitiful, damned, Princess Sora.

After the princess left their sight, the boy straightened up from his innocent peeping posture and began to walk. Kita gulped. He knew what was coming. They had seen it this morning, when Prince Reuel 'ran' into the princess in the corridor.

The fingerprint-shaped bruise on her arm.

"Who was the servant tending to the young princess this morning?" Kita announced after the servants of the rotting palace were called to assembly.

The abuse wasn't a thing hidden. Everyone knew of it. With many more princes and princesses born of royal wives, such a weakling was only a waste, just kept alive until she died. After all, if someone was so worthless in their abilities to give back, what was the use?

That must be how these people thought, but not Reuel. Not when it came to Sora.

The servant that had his handprinted so painfully on the young girl, now stood in front of the prince with his arm held out. The young boy reached out with a smile to lay his fingers exactly where he had seen that mark on Sora.

Screams echoed as the man fell to the ground, his face red, his body trembling. Blood dripped down his arm from where Reuel's mark now lay, in scorching, steaming flesh. The prince wrinkled her nose due to the smell of his rotting flesh and turned away with the same innocent, wide-eyed look as any child. "Do not disturb her with this issue anymore." It was all he said as he walked away with Kita following close behind. The servants around gulped. It meant that the princess shouldn't know of what had taken place.

As they left the room, Reuel looked down at his palm. I didn't know my power was so strong? I hadn't expected that much damage... Then he began to walk again. He originally meant to mark the man as a warning, but a surge of power rushed through him in that moment unlike ever before. Anyway, he deserved it. I will protect the princess.