6. Blossoms

Sakusa stared at Atsumu as he rearranged the blankets around him. God damn it. Damn it he needed to do this. 

"Atsumu." 

"Hm?" Atsumu looked up. "What is it?" 

"I'm sorry," He whispered before grabbing his hair and kissed him gently before shrinking back into himself. "I'm sorry." 

Atsumu smiled. He snuggled against Sakusa and kissed his cheek. "Thank you." 

"It's going to hurt so bad…" 

"It's alright sweets." Atsumu kissed his lips gently. "It's okay." 

Sakusa cried quietly, holding him. "I don't want to die yet. I've got you now and the music and… And this isn't…" Sakura sobbed. "I love you." 

Atsumu smiled sadly. "Omi-Kun. Omi. Look at me." 

Sakusa looked down. "What?" 

"You wanna go take a walk? Would that be okay?" 

"Yes…" 

Atsumu smiled. He got up and they went outside where Atsumu tangled their fingers together and they walked on the sidewalk. For a few minutes, the world felt okay. 

They knew about the fast love they had fallen into. 

"Omi, look at the Sakura blossoms."

Sakusa looked up and stared. He took off his cannula for the second time that week and took a breath of fresh air. He smiled, closing his eyes. 

Atsumu took a picture of him and smiled. "Omi you're so pretty!"

Sakusa slipped on the cannula and smiled to himself, barely visible. "Sakura blossoms are one of my favorites."

Atsumu smiled. "I'm glad."

****

Atsumu startled awake, hearing something unfamiliar. It sounded like screaming. Muffled but he could hear it. 

From next door. 

"Omi…"

Atsumu got up and walked over to Sakusa's apartment. He found Sakusa's room and saw the boy huddled into pillows, sobbing his weakened heart out. Atsumu hugged him. 

"Omi. It's me. I'm right here."

"You're going to lose me! This isn't fair!" 

Atsumu kissed his freckles gently and set him down properly. "Omi, I won't lose you."

"I'm dying!"

"I know. But you won't be gone. I've got you right here." He put a hand against his chest. He pointed to the little piano against the wall. "And right there." 

Sakusa coughed. He couldn't even tell Atsumu about the call from the doctor today. It was why he was crying too. 

"There's something else," Atsumu whispered. 

Sakusa looked away. 

"Omi…?" 

"It got reduced." 

"How much longer?" 

"Three months." 

Atsumu gulped. "Ah… Um… I'll be right back." He walked into the hallway. "Deep breaths. You've cried about this already. Deep breaths you idiot."

Sakusa coughed from his room and Atsumu went back to the room. He climbed into the bed, snuggling close.

"I love you." 

"…I love you too." 

Atsumu kissed his forehead and put his hand on Sakusa's chest. Sakusa took a deep breath before sighing softly. Atsumu smiled. "That's what I like to hear." 

Sakusa yawned. "Oh, that felt nice…"

Atsumu laughed. "Lots of air."

"I want more." 

They were both quiet for a moment. 

"I want so much more…" 

Atsumu held him closer. "I know. And I'm sorry. But you know I'm right here." 

Sakusa gulped. He put his hand on Atsumu's chest. Such a healthy heartbeat and how his chest moved. Sakusa closed his eyes and fell asleep slowly. 

Atsumu felt this and started to cry quietly into Sakusa's curls. "Why did you have to move here?" 

In the morning Atsumu went to work, drowsier than normal. People tried to ask what was wrong before he got down the road to his second job. 

Hinata, of course, wouldn't leave him alone. 

"Atsumu! What's wrong?!"

Atsumu tried to ignore him. 

"Atsumuuuuu!"

Atsumu snapped his head up. "The person I love the most in this world is going to die in three months. And I can't stop him from dying."

Hinata paused. "I…"

"I need Osamu. Do you know where he is?"

Hinata handed him his phone. "Call him."

Atsumu took the phone before walking away and outside. He called his brother, who picked up and whisper talked to him. 

"Where are you?" 

"I'm in bed… I'm trying not to wake up Suna…" 

"When do you have a free day?"

"In… Two days…" Osamu yawned. 

"Can I talk to you about my neighbor?"

"What's up with him?"

"His… Um… His life expectancy shortened."

"To what?"

"Three months."

"Ah..."

Atsumu sighed. "This is a lot harder than I thought." 

"I'll see if I can-"

"Babe. Where's your hand? Fuck. Babe." 

The twins paused as Suna whined and wanted to snuggle. Osamu hung up soon after to deal with Suna's grumpy self. 

Atsumu went back inside and worked. He was quiet. 

He got home and saw the very person he loved so much sleeping in his bed. Atsumu made sure he was breathing before taking a shower and going to his piano. He played Nuvole Bianche as quietly as possible before a lullaby and climbing into bed.

Sakusa almost instinctively snuggled close and held Atsumu's arm. He yawned and Atsumu made sure his chest was moving properly. He was going to miss this. 

He kissed his forehead and whispered some nice things, falling asleep as he held the ravenette.