Background to what we wrote about

The goal of our assignment was that we were a advice columnist and a student from a lower grade sent in an email stating that they were extremely stressed about events occurring in there life.

The email is..

Dear Editor,

       I am a stressed out 9th grade student. I am really struggling with some things in my life. My parents are going through a divorce. I used to feel so close to both my parents but now they spent all their time fighting; they don't even seem to notice me. I feel worthless and sometimes i wish i had never been born.

            i am also falling behind in school assignments. They keep piling up. I have final exams coming soon and my friends asked me if they can help me study, but i just want to be alone.

                Basketball is my favorite sport, i don't think i will even try out for the team next week. It just doesn't seem important anymore. I'm tired all of the time. When i fall asleep at night i don't ever want to wake up and i just want the pain to go away. I don't feel like myself anymore. What should i do? Can you help me?

          Our goal was to find key points in the letter that expressed that the student was indeed depressed. We were supposed to write a letter back to the student and point out they key points and give them a safe place and people he/she could talk to.