⇗ Chapter 10

"How-" Violet muttered.

"Do-" Klaus stammered.

"We know you have a lot of questions," Sabine started.

"And you'll get answers very soon, but first you need to come with us," Quigley continued. He and Sabine pulled flashlights out of their sweater pockets as the Baudelaires stood up and followed them to the back of the cave, right underneath the flame diversion.

"We had to wait for the fire to die down before we showed you," Sabine said, and with a nervous glance at the sleeping scouts, she and Quigley turned the flashlights on and shone the lights above them. "Look."

Everyone looked up, and saw that there was a hole in the ceiling, big enough for a person to crawl through. The last wisps of smoke from the fire were floating up into the hole. "A chimney," Klaus murmured. "I was wondering why the fire didn't fill the cave with smoke."

"The official name is Vertical Flame Diversion," Sabine whispered.

"It serves as a chimney and as a secret passageway. It runs from this cave to the Valley of Four Drafts. If we climb up there, we can reach headquarters within hours, instead of hiking all the way up the mountain," Quigley said quietly. "Years ago, there was a metal pole that ran down the center of the hole, so people could slide down and hide in this cave in case of an emergency. The pole is gone now, but there are metal rungs on the sides to climb all the way up." He shone the flashlight on the cave wall, and they could all see that he was telling the truth.

"How do you know all this?" Violet asked.

"Well, for one, I've climbed up there. Sabine, too," Quigley explained.

The Baudelaires seemed to freeze, glancing quickly at each other. Sabine knew that it was because they recognized her name, and she desperately wanted to hug them both. She'd missed them.

"What-" Klaus started.

"How-" Violet asked.

"Carm – " Another voice startled the children – the voice of Bruce, waking up halfway at the sound of the conversation. They all froze, just as the Baudelaires had a few moments ago, as Bruce turned over on his blanket, and with a long sigh, went back to sleep.

"We'll talk when we reach the headquarters," Quigley whispered. "The Vertical Flame Diversion is very echoey, so we'll have to be absolutely silent as we climb, or the echoing noise will alert Bruce and the Snow Scouts. It'll be very dark inside, so you'll have to feel against the wall for the handholds, and the air will be smoky, but if you keep your masks on they'll filter the air and make it easier to breathe. Sabine and I will go first and lead the way. Are you ready?"

The two siblings were silent for a moment as they stared at each other, then stared at Quigley and Sabine, then back at each other.

"I know it must be hard to trust me, Baudelaires," said Quigley finally, "after so many people have done you wrong."

"Can you give us a reason to trust you?" Violet said.

"Well, you guys know me," Sabine whispered, carefully pulling her mask off. Even in the dim light, the Baudelaires seemed to recognize Sabine. They gasped in realization, which stirred Bruce again. He flipped around in his blankets and Sabine quickly pushed the mask back onto her face.

"B-but... we thought..." Violet muttered.

"Follow us and all your questions will be answered, Baudelaires," Quigley said. Violet and Klaus looked at one another again and Klaus gave a slight nod to his sister. She nodded back, then they turned their attention to Quigley and Sabine.